Phill Liggett challenge - 8th August 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
It's not too late to enter the Phil Liggett Challenge ride which is on Sunday 8th August.

I did this last year and it beat me. I was going for the 150km ride, but bailed at the split point and just did the 100km ride instead.

I'm determined to beat the 150km route this year, even if it takes me all day (which going by my speed this weekend, it might).

The route is lovely.

There is a slightly boring bit. After you've descended Holme moss, there's a bit of a slog over to Glossop which isn't the nicest scenery.

After that though there's a part before you get on the descent down to Edale which was just lovely last year. One of the nicest rides I've ever done.

It's a top ride, with some great hills.

And, you'll have the advantage of being quicker than me. I averaged 14km/hour this weekend, so I'll be about 11 hours on this ride.

zacklaws

Guru
Well I've just signed up for the 150k ride, thought about it for a few days and thought I may as well, you only live once. With it being well off my doorstep, I'm looking forward to it and just planning on sight seeing instead of flat out and go, so a nice steady plod round.

I've tried looking at the route, but it does not display, just a blank map anyone else have same problem?

jimboalee

Well I've just signed up for the 150k ride, thought about it for a few days and thought I may as well, you only live once. With it being well off my doorstep, I'm looking forward to it and just planning on sight seeing instead of flat out and go, so a nice steady plod round.

I've tried looking at the route, but it does not display, just a blank map anyone else have same problem?

Its better if you DON'T look at the route. Just train yourself up for tomorrow's stage of the TdF and you'll be alright.

I looked at signing up for the 'Tour of Britain' "Pro Ride" at Stoke on Trent, until I saw it was £40....:laugh:

£40 can pay for a Brevet 1000 ( 5 x 200km in one season ).

zacklaws

Guru
Its better if you DON'T look at the route. Just train yourself up for tomorrow's stage of the TdF and you'll be alright.

I looked at signing up for the 'Tour of Britain' "Pro Ride" at Stoke on Trent, until I saw it was £40....:laugh:

£40 can pay for a Brevet 1000 ( 5 x 200km in one season ).

Its that bad is it, I broke out in a sweat myself today at one point and felt the pain I was in during the climbs yesterday just watching the tour today.

OP
OP
hulver

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Its that bad is it, I broke out in a sweat myself today at one point and felt the pain I was in during the climbs yesterday just watching the tour today.

I've got a tcx file that I downloaded last year. The last bit of the ride is a bit weird, but it was like that when I got it from the CTC site. I know it's not changed, because the route sheet they sent me is exactly the same as last year, including a warning about a possibly closed road.

You can download it from My link

There is some fantastic scenery.

zacklaws

Guru
I've got a tcx file that I downloaded last year. The last bit of the ride is a bit weird, but it was like that when I got it from the CTC site. I know it's not changed, because the route sheet they sent me is exactly the same as last year, including a warning about a possibly closed road.

You can download it from My link

There is some fantastic scenery.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look at it tommorow, I worked all last night and still not been to bed

zacklaws

Guru
I'm going on this one and have booked a place. I used zacklaws' route and modified it to the 100km in BikeHike. It has 2000m of climb. Not sure it was such a good idea.....

Its not my route its Hulvers, but at least you've reminded me to have a look at it.

OP
OP
hulver

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Just a bump in case anybody is interested. You can enter on the day.

zacklaws

Guru
Just a bump in case anybody is interested. You can enter on the day.

I've been trawling myself to get others to do the ride with me, but no one seems interested in it, everyone seems to prefer the Ryedale Rumble instead, but that is almost on my doorstep and I could do that ride any day and already have done most of it on other rides.. I saw on some forum yesterday that there is only 250 subscribed to the "challenge" to date, and it also says that there is 3 feeding stations this year as opposed to just 3 cafe stops, but there does seem to be a lack of details on it, for example, I presume car parking is at the start point or is it a case of looking for somwhere in the town to park, as after travelling a long distance it could become a chore to do so, and then find your way to the start point.

Other than that I'm looking forward to it.

OP
OP
hulver

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
I didn't have any trouble parking last year. It's quite a small car park in a residential area. There is plenty of space in the surrounding streets. You wouldn't have to park in the city centre and cycle in. The email implies that there's going to be a car park this year. The one by the hall isn't big enough. I parked on a nearby street last year. Get there fairly early to get registered and you should be find.

This is the hall where the start's from (all the emails say the same place as last year)

That pup over the road is still boarded up, and it might be possible to park there as well.

zacklaws

Guru
You get Emails?

More than what I get, oddly enough on the other forum I've seen, there is confusion as to what is happening on the day. Its probably why it appears to have been not that well attended in the past.

OP
OP
hulver

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
I've updated the GPS course files to remove the odd wrinkle at the end and include more track points in the Track file.

Available to download from my site here.

I got a letter thanking me for coming on the ride, and including last years route sheet. Which didn't fill me with confidence, because I doubt they've got roadworks on the exact same bit of road again.

Oh well.

[EDIT]: I've just looked for the email I was thinking about, and I can't find it anywhere. Maybe I dreamed it.

zacklaws

Guru
I did a quick update to remove that funny bit at the end in Bikeroutetoaster, but I have still not had a good look at it, what I have seen though is it does not follow the roads that well.

But last night at work I found this one that has suddenly appeared online and looks a lot better:-

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=jkxyahqnnencrgmo

I am always wary though of courses on a Edge 305 of around 100 miles as they can be very slow updating if there is a lot of track points added. I was planning on adding a few to mark, the feedstations, bottom of climbs and the peaks, but as I say it may slow the Garmin down too much, so what I will probably do is just add all the villages etc as waypoints to give me a clue as to where I am. As for the hills, I can see them coming in the profile menu.

Another problem I have come a across a lot lately, is a course ending as soon as it starts, and it usually happens when the finish point is close to the start point, so these days, I make the finish point a few hundred yards away, in a place that I will not cross over.

After I get some sleep, I'll have a look at your route.

OP
OP
hulver

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Ah my latest routes might not be any good for you then, as they have more track points than the previous routes (so follow the road better) and no course points.

The route on GPSies looks pretty good.

Top Bottom