Phillips possible project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
All ready for it's new owner.

I took it for a spin and was reminded how lovely these old steel frames can be. Smooth as silk.

Just got to hand over and get paid.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've probably ridden a lot more miles over my lifetime on basic hi-tensile steel frames than I have on lightweight Reynolds ones. If the geometry is good, the ride tends to be good, even if the frame is low end. That said, there is definitely an extra something that you get from a really well designed butted 531 frame, like the one on my Raleigh Royal. Even running relatively narrow 1 1/8" tyres pumped up hard enough to take my weight it is more comfortable than anything else I ride.

AndyRM

XOXO
Very nice! Also a fan of the colour.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
This bike is temporarily back with me for a few adjustments and a check over.

Since going to it's new owner it has been well-used and enjoyed on the streets of South London.

A quick ride to check it out reminded me that this is the smoothest ride I have ever had. Better than my 1972 531 built Raleigh, and lots more smooth than my 2019 aluminium Orro. So much for progress!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
A quick ride to check it out reminded me that this is the smoothest ride I have ever had. Better than my 1972 531 built Raleigh

I expect it's got slightly more relaxed geometry compared to the Raleigh. A lot of old-school slack-angled hi-tensile MTB's are more comfortable than they have any right to be. I'm sure a lot also depends on the tyres but steeper angles definitely tend not to feel as comfortable and seem to transmit more vibration. Personally though I have not yet found a plain hi-tensile frame that rides better than my Raleigh 531 tourer.

Top Bottom