Phillips possible project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Incidentally I discovered the three layers of paint were a black protective layer, as suggested above, then a pale blue coat so that the person putting on the magenta top coat could see if he or she had missed anywhere. Clever!

P a u l

Looks like an interesting project, and I'll be looking forward to further updates!

The hard black finish is probably rust inhibiting coat . A lot of the old bikes had that finish underneath .
Incidentally I discovered the three layers of paint were a black protective layer, as suggested above, then a pale blue coat so that the person putting on the magenta top coat could see if he or she had missed anywhere. Clever!

Ah - I've seen what I suspect is the same black coating on my bicycle and thought it could have been the original colour underneath a later repaint. Many thanks for the info!

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Hours more scraping and sanding and a steel frame is emerging!

It all seems to be solid.

More research identifies this as a Phillip's Jaguar. The keys to identification are the location of the pips for the pump and the original carmine paintwork.

Next step will be to degrease, mask and apply an undercoat, followed by more rubbing down.

I had ordered some purple paint, but when I tried some on an old piece of plumbing pipework I didnt like it. I have now ordered some carmine paint.

I also need to start thinking about other components...

Good news was that I sold my old Trek, so I have more space and a few pounds to keep working on this.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've degreased and primed the frame, but I'm not showing you because I allowed some dust to fall on the wet paint. After drying overnight I gently rubbed the affected area down and resprayed, only to find the paint behaving oddly. Seems I hadn't let the degreaser fully evaporate!

It was clearly time to stop.

I'm going to leave it a few days before I try again.

It's all learning!

Gunk

Guru
I notice it has lugs for double shifters, it’s probably more of a sports frame, most British manufacturers weren’t using derailleur gears until the early 1960’s, so for an early 1950’s bike that would have been quite exotic.

Nice project BTW

My learning continues!

My singlespeed axles don't fit in the dropouts, so here's the best I could do.

View attachment 517196

These tyres are 30mm and a reasonably close fit between the chain stays, which is interesting. It also seems that the chain stays aren't hugely long. Do you agree this was probably a sporty drop bar bike?
To me it looks like the angle of the steerer tube is steeper than the seat tube . The picture of the 50's Jaguar looks to be more Parallel.
It could just be down to the pictures though .

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
After lots of painting, rubbing down, changes of mind about colour this where the project is.

I have some modern alloy wheels from the local cycle charity, and have ordered some parts that I can't find in my box of bits.

Next job is to apply the transfers and then lacquer.

Thanks for your interest and comments.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
This project is revived!

After a period of indecision I have been galvanised into action by a friend. He has a relative who is desperate for a fixie, so I've spent this morning building it up with bits I already have.

It needs a better crankset and a new chain, bar tape and a few other bits and bobs, but should be good enough for him to say yes or no.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This project is revived!

After a period of indecision I have been galvanised into action by a friend. He has a relative who is desperate for a fixie, so I've spent this morning building it up with bits I already have.

It needs a better crankset and a new chain, bar tape and a few other bits and bobs, but should be good enough for him to say yes or no. View attachment 524476

Every cyclist needs a fixie in there life :laugh:
And that fits the bill nicely

Top Bottom