Phone apps for cycling - recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I've decided I'd like to know how far I cycle this year, so I've bought a Finn handlebar mount and a waterproof case for my phone. I just need an app, and wondered if the CC massive could help me find the right one - it needs to run on iOS.

What I want is the ability to:
  • record gps track of rides
  • export GPX files
  • log cumulative total
  • show current speed and (ideally) time
  • navigate (although happy for this to be a separate app if needs be - I want to use my bike more for getting about so inevitably that will sometimes mean going places I don't know the way to)
What I don't want is:
  • rides and routes shared so other users can see them
  • implied competition with other riders in the form of tables and 'segments'
I had a bit of software on my Blackberry that was basically a GPS logger that did all of the above apart from the navigation.

I tried the Bike Citizens app this morning on the commute but the track recording isn't exportable, and there seems to be a large discrepancy in the distance logged - the ride to work is recorded (from the same track) as both 5 miles and 2.8 miles, for example. The navigation seems to know a lot of cycle paths and shorcuts though, but then it doesn't seem to take much account of avoiding hills (not necessarily a bad thing, but would be nice to have a 'flattest' option for when using heavy panniers) I'm going to try Komoot on the way home, but any other suggestions much appreciated.

Happy New Year, btw.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Komoot.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I used to use Sportstracker but have that the last few rides I tried use it, on new phone, it turns off after about 30 mins. I usually transferred route onto Strava so might just use that from now on.

Top Bottom