Phone charger cables..... I thought they were standardised.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Samsung tablet complains constantly that it is charging to slowly and I need to use the issued one....i am, I haven't got another!?
I keep reading the longer the cable the longer it takes to charge (greater resistance?). Sometimes the tablet won't charge using the original plug. I need to buy a short cable. I dont need to charge it while using it. @Dave7 are you living on your phone/tablet?!

keithmac

Guru
My old S8 and new S20 both have the USB type C connector which will be the standard imho.

I never had any issues Fast Charging and my son is using my S8 still good battery life.

I just pop mine on the charging pad overnight, saves mucking about with cables.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
My Samsung tablet complains constantly that it is charging to slowly and I need to use the issued one....i am, I haven't got another!?
I keep reading the longer the cable the longer it takes to charge (greater resistance?). Sometimes the tablet won't charge using the original plug. I need to buy a short cable. I dont need to charge it while using it. @Dave7 are you living on your phone/tablet?!
I really use it for CC and Whatsapp.
And I google stuff on it.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My previous Samsung S7 came with a fast charger. They're thin and not very long, but they do fast charge. Aftermarket cables are cheap and easy to come buy, I've just bought a pack of 3 off Amazon for £6 which are 4ft long. You can also buy longer ones. The braided ones tend to last longer. Even good (fast) chargers can slow down drastically if they get partially damaged inside. I haven't bought a new phone for 5 years but as far as I know all phones usually come with a cable and charger both capable of fast charging if the phone has this feature.

USBc sounds like a good standard to me - the fact that they are uniform in shape means you can plug them in either way up, but also I find they deform/get damaged less than the fairly flimsy USB-c shape which is uneven and promotes lateral flexion which can lead to damage quicker

figbat

Slippery scientist
Apple complain that USB-C is larger than their proprietary Lightning connector and therefore trickier to incorporate into slim housings. I must admit that the Lightning connector just works well, either way up, with a positive location ‘click’ but I would like a one-size-fits-all solution. The only devices I currently have with USB-C are a wireless speaker and my work laptop. All phones and tablets are Lightning and most other stuff is the irritating micro-USB with the occasional legacy mini-USB here and there.

Jody

Stubborn git
Up to you. You should probably ask samsung fastcharge users that and not me. My thinking of never using it was I am wary (less so) of non-removable batteries and would like the phone to last 3 years before replacement.

I got over 3 years out of my Note 8 using fast charge and never had any battery issues. The Note 10 charges even quick (1 hour from flat).

If the worst happens it will go back under my bank insurance and be replaced.

Top Bottom