Phone GPS apps face off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caimg

Über Member
I'm just wondering if there seems to be a general consensus on the ultimate GPS cycling app. There's so much talk of Endomondo, Cyclemeter, MapmyRide, CycleStreets, Strava etc that it's difficult to see if there's anything that differentiates most of these. What are peoples' preferences and why? I only ask because I'm sure like most people I'd like to be using the 'best' one but I'm not sure if there is a best one!

I'm a Cyclemeter user myself - love how easy it is to use and how customizable it is. Easy UI yet a lot under the hood.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Ive tried a few, map my ride under reads elevations, the Garmin fit puts me riding through field's about 300 yds away, google tracks was good but lots of exporting gpx arc to logged it properly.

I use endomondo all the time now easy to use and gives me all I need!

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
Poll's a good idea - not sure how to add it now the thread's started though!

I only downloaded the free version of Endomondo earlier and haven't tried it yet - I like the UI, and I like the 'nearby' option to see any completed routes by local (or otherwise) cyclists, very nifty. I guess I have this stupid thing where now I've started my cycling stats with cyclemeter I don't want to have miles wasted by testing a poorer app that I won't use again (not conducive to trying various apps I know :tongue: )

Terry Kay

I was using AllSportGps, but they wanted something like £3 for the full version and at 8MB that wouldn't move to the SD card, I was put off.. It's a great program and gives loads of stats but I was looking for something more lightweight..

Currently giving the Garmin Fit app a try, seems to do everything I wanted but at around 1MB after moving it to the SD card.. Too early to give an opionion yet though..

Jmenorton

i use Osmand for navigation (lets you follow premade gpx tracks and use offline maps) and strava for the cycle computer funtions.

cerenko

I find this perfect for my use, and its free.
http://m.gpsies.com

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
Already seems like there's no general consensus! I'm surprised to see no +1s for Strava really...I've got it on my iPhone but haven't tried it yet. From what I know of its USPs, it has competitive achievement integration (an epic win for racers, those needing motivation or Xbox / ps3 lovers) so that your ride is split into segments, which are then compared to other riders who have also been through that segment. A leader board is established and you earn 'trophies' for being well-placed on those leader boards. Seems like a fab way to spruce up a commute or mundane journey.

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
Are there any other apps that introduce a competitive element? I noticed Endomondo has an 'ahead/behind' graphic whilst looking at 'nearby' saves routes...

Top Bottom