Phone GPS dipping out..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goobs

Veteran
I tried MapMyRide and found it stopped recording runs too - iPhone in back pocket so clear line of sight to the sky.
I went back to Runkeeper and never usually have a problem. On the rare occasion it misses a couple of locations it carries on recording and I can always correct the route on their web site. The route would show I cut across a field instead of sticking to the road so you use the editor to drag your waypoints back to the road and it works out the corrected distance.
I keep my iPhone 5s in my jacket back pocket upside down so I can hear the announcements better.
As for battery life yeah I struggle on rides over 5 hours but carry a battery backup to keep the phone going.

Not having a droid phone I cannot speak from experience but a quick look on Google and people are mentioning to set the GPS to high ?

Check this thread :
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/00362c388e

OP
OP
contadino

contadino

Veteran
Thanks. I've setup Endomondo so will see how that shapes up. I'll be out tomorrow to give it a whirl.

It's a shame because Map My Ride is nice and simple. I don't have some epic goal to work towards, and I don't really want to interact with a bunch of strangers. I just want to record my rides.

I

Thanks. I've setup Endomondo so will see how that shapes up. I'll be out tomorrow to give it a whirl.

It's a shame because Map My Ride is nice and simple. I don't have some epic goal to work towards, and I don't really want to interact with a bunch of strangers. I just want to record my rides.

I
Export the ride from endomondo and upload that to M.M.R. though I think you might like endo, if all you want to do is record your rides.

OP
OP
contadino

contadino

Veteran
After a bit of a false start, Endomondo seems to have tracked my ride this morning. It stopped tracking after 0.9km, but I force quit MMR, restarted the 'workout' in Endo and it seems to have been fine since then. I'll uninstall MMR now. @Nigelnaturist Yep, Endo seems to be simple enough so I'll try sticking with that.

Also just noticed that my average speed on today's route has risen nearly 5kmph since the start of the year, which cheered me up. I was unable to cycle for a couple of months before Xmas, and I did eat a few minced pies, but nonetheless....

albion

Guru
OK, there is an easy test to see if Endo has a regular good GPS fix.

Go to the stats page and see if anything is missing in the grand miles total. It ignores routes where it has had to guess points for GPS dropout which you then have to manually activate onto the total.

While you are there, set your privacy settings. They take far too many liberties.

Top Bottom