photo touch up advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abchandler

I have an old family photo, a portion of which i have scanned in and uploaded as my avatar. The printing of it includes a matrix of dots, which I'd like to erase from the original. Any advice on how to go about it?

simonali

Guru
Does your scanner have a descreen function? I don't know what that is, but makes better photo scans on my one!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
abchandler said:
I have an old family photo, a portion of which i have scanned in and uploaded as my avatar. The printing of it includes a matrix of dots, which I'd like to erase from the original. Any advice on how to go about it?

if you have photoshop (or poss. photoshop elements (way cheaper)), you could use the despeckle filter.

OP
OP
abchandler

abchandler

alecstilleyedye said:
if you have photoshop (or poss. photoshop elements (way cheaper)), you could use the despeckle filter.

I've tried despeckle in Paint Shop Pro, but to no effect. I'll see if I can give photoshop a go

simonali

Guru
Do it at the scanner end as I suggested, rather than muck around with it afterwards, you'll get much better results!

Descreen or anti moire filter will remove any artefacts that look like your avatar.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I think it looks quite "pop art" with the dots.... ;)
May we ask which portion of the photo it is? My money's on someone's kneecap (what a strange sentence) :laugh:

simonali

Guru
Look at these 2 scans from my scanner, the first a normal scan and the second with descreen activated. See the difference? (look at the blue shading if you can't see what I mean)

2113vhv.jpg

2yueo03.jpg

OP
OP
abchandler

abchandler

Fnaar said:
I think it looks quite "pop art" with the dots.... ;)
May we ask which portion of the photo it is? My money's on someone's kneecap (what a strange sentence) :laugh:

Move your money off their kneecap, and put it on their chin and right shoulder:smile:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
quality cd simonali ;)

OP
OP
abchandler

abchandler

simonali said:
Look at these 2 scans from my scanner, the first a normal scan and the second with descreen activated. See the difference? (look at the blue shading if you can't see what I mean)

I'll see if my scanner allows it. Is the mottling present on the original artwork in this case?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it will be, as most full colour printing is made up of cyan, magenta, yellow and black (cmyk) which is printed on as millions of tiny dots.

only on spot colour, or any of the four cmyk colours, will the screen not be apparent.

OP
OP
abchandler

abchandler

a quick google on descreen and paint shop pro brought me to the following advice:

increase the resolution, apply gaussian blur then reduce to original size.

I've applied the Equalize histogram function and the before and after are now shown. Cheers guys (esp. simonali)

Top Bottom