Photography Child Protection Grumble

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Apologies in advance for the length. To summarise if you can't be @rsed, I'm moaning about a national sporting body invoking child protection to protect a revenue stream.

Here's the long player....

Young bolletta takes part in something called synchronised skating - think team figure skating. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a healthy, fun and largely good-natured sport (unlike individual figure skating, which is brutal and lonely).

This weekend is the National Synchro Championships, being held at Nottingham, where bolletta is on for two of the Basingstoke teams. I enjoy a bit of photography, so over the years I've become the team photographer. It's quite rewarding, especially when parents and grandparents of the kids send me thank you emails - I've even had the odd offer (always refused) of payment.

Most competitions have a photography policy. I always make sure I know what the policy is and respect it. With the advent of camera phones and tablets, many competitions have just given up trying to control it and just allow free photography and filming. Even then, I only ever take pictures of the Basingstoke kids, not kids on other teams, just to avoid any controversy.

The National competition has always been a bit awkward. Last year I was asked by a steward not to take photos - I usually use a DSLR with a largish fast zoom lens (70-200mm f2.8 Nikon) for the routines so it's quite conspicuous. I then sat there while everyone around either used their phones for pictures or filmed routines on their iPads. Grumble!

Roll on this year. The website for the competition has a photography policy. Great says I - they've got their act together. I'll have to register, but after that will be able to take photos in any public access location within the rink.

I arrive yesterday lugging two cameras and a couple of lenses and ask reception for a photo form. The receptionist apologises and tells me that the policy was changed that morning and no photography is allowed. WTF! The reason is given in the back of the programme - 'child protection'. And boy did they crack down! Several audience members were given a hard time for taking selfies.

Wait a minute, the entry forms required competitors or their guardians allow photography and filming? This was not caveated. The event was being streamed live on the internet if you can be bothered to find it, so anyone in the world could watch and record it. The event is also being filmed for a documentary. The Nottingham team even had their own programme on CBeebies FFS!

There are photographs available from the official photographer to anyone who wants to buy them. And here we have it. The National Ice Skating Association aka NISA, as money-grubbing and incompetent a governing body as you'll come across, has decided that parents need to be gulled out of another couple of quid on top of entry fees, membership fees, insurance fees and the associated (substantial) coaching and ice time costs. It's not a sport that's going to make anyone rich or famous, but the memories are important to the competitors and this families. It appears that NISA feel that desire should be monetised as much as possible.

Ironically, it's my photos of the 'mazingstoke teams that NISA have used in the competition programme and I'm told on their website.

If you've got this far, well done and thanks for reading. Here's a picture of Team Sensation from a competition last year. Bolletta is 5th from the right. (c) Bollo 2015, all rights reserved. Go 'mazingstoke!

22693146238_dd16b39f5d_k.jpg

Attachments

• 22693146238_dd16b39f5d_k.jpg
    22693146238_dd16b39f5d_k.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 36

classic33

Leg End Member
Who actually changed the policy?

classic33

Leg End Member
'Ironically, it's my photos of the 'mazingstoke teams that NISA have used in the competition programme and I'm told on their website.'

Did they ask permission to use your work ?
Missed that. Was payment offered for use?

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm not making some SC&P style PC gawn mad point. I get what child protection is about, but it isn't this. Because Basingstoke have just formed a new team with younger members for this season, I even made some effort to understand how child photography policies are framed (NSPCC example here). The only possible moot point within this example policy is the statement on costumes, but I believe NISA apply very specific rules about what is acceptable for competition anyway.
Child protection my arse.
Which was to be my opening line in an email to NISA. Along with a perfectly composed image of my arse.

Unfortunately, like many minority sports the majority of support and significant funding comes from parents, but the same parents have very little leverage with the ruling body. It's a closed shop. Based on the experience of some other parents, it's likely that even a well-reasoned missive without any rump shots will be placed in the short round file.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
'Ironically, it's my photos of the 'mazingstoke teams that NISA have used in the competition programme and I'm told on their website.'

Did they ask permission to use your work ?

The event organisers (either NISA or the Nottingham rink) asked clubs to provide team shots for the programme, and the Basingstoke coach asked me if she could use my pictures. We were one of the few teams to provide 'action shots' instead of posed team photos, so I guess they thought it would work better as a promo shot for the event on the website. I'm not losing sleep (in fact I'm quite flattered) but it's pretty cheap given their subsequent decision.

I'll admit I posted this as a bit of a vent, but I'm also interested to hear if anyone on here has any experience of photography and child protection. I'm still convinced the policy was much more to do with retaining a monopoly on images available from the event though.

Simply ask for a copy of the risk assessment and details of the systems in place to stop "inappropriate use" of the images by the "official" photographer

More dodgy ground (it opens a can of worms if you do not have one) is for details of the official photographers CRB checks

They cannot ignore such requests

They can ignore the request for the official photographer's CRB checks. That information is not disclosable. That said, you could ask them to confirm appropriate checks have been undertaken.

My error - I hadn't meant specific details of the individual's check, just that it was in place, and current

The other point was that unless the OP has one in place (I think they should) then it could cause problems

Katherine

Guru
If they are taking and selling photos, then banning other people for taking photos is not child protection, unless they can stop other people buying photos of your child.

Child protection means that you register as you were trying to do and you only take pictures of your own child /team with their permission.

However, they can reserve the right to take all the event photos.

We had similar problems when my daughter played in netball completions. The bigger the event, the more bureaucracy was an issue.

This has been going on for more than a decade. You can sense the scope creep. Its obviously protecting revenue stream. They have all the bases covered including not using your child's photo without your permission but the majority and you yourself will end up buying photos from the official photographer. Its a monopoly. No one is going to pass up a momento of their little tots achievement.

If it is child protection why is it that you can order any photos from the official website or the official guy. Who is authenticating the right buyer.

Someone has to take this to court.

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
The local school that our little one goes to has a no mobile phones to be used within the school grounds policy, this purely because the majority of modern mobiles have a built in camera. Even at school events, sports days etc parents are not allowed to photograph their own children. The official school photographer is the only person with permission to take pictures and parents can then purchase the pictures at circa £30 a set.
Our little foster boy featured in this last Xmas nativity play, official photos were taken, Andrew was excluded from ALL pictures except one, we were the only people to get that picture. To me the school is being far too strict and as with the op it is all about how much money they can squeeze out of the parents / carers.

machew

Veteran
The policy for photos for an organization that I help with is as follows

No legislation, including The Data Protection Act 1998, prohibits anyone at an Urban Saints Group or holiday from taking photos/videos for personal use.

• The Parental Consent Form – Group Membership downloadable from www.URBANSAINTS.org/FORMS. includes the following: ‘I understand that my son/daughter may sometimes appear in photographs and/or videos taken at Group activities and that these photographs/videos will only be shown to those connected with the Group’. Parents sign their agreement to this statement when they enrol their son/daughter in one of our Groups.

• The ‘Declaration and Payment’ section of the Application Form for Urban Saints Holidays states the following: ‘We may take videos and photographs of holiday activities, and attendance at a holiday signifies agreement that these may appear in future publicity or other materials produced by Urban Saints, or materials produced by other organisations in sympathy with Urban Saints and to whom express permission to use the videos/photographs has been granted.’ Parents sign their agreement to this statement when they book in their son/daughter on one of our holidays.

• Photographic/video images may count as ‘personal data’ and best practice is therefore to treat them in the same way as other personal data.

• No personal identifying information (name, e-mail address etc.) should ever be given with any photos/videos used on websites, etc.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
The policy for photos for an organization that I help with is as follows

No legislation, including The Data Protection Act 1998, prohibits anyone at an Urban Saints Group or holiday from taking photos/videos for personal use.

• The Parental Consent Form – Group Membership downloadable from www.URBANSAINTS.org/FORMS. includes the following: ‘I understand that my son/daughter may sometimes appear in photographs and/or videos taken at Group activities and that these photographs/videos will only be shown to those connected with the Group’. Parents sign their agreement to this statement when they enrol their son/daughter in one of our Groups.

• The ‘Declaration and Payment’ section of the Application Form for Urban Saints Holidays states the following: ‘We may take videos and photographs of holiday activities, and attendance at a holiday signifies agreement that these may appear in future publicity or other materials produced by Urban Saints, or materials produced by other organisations in sympathy with Urban Saints and to whom express permission to use the videos/photographs has been granted.’ Parents sign their agreement to this statement when they book in their son/daughter on one of our holidays.

• Photographic/video images may count as ‘personal data’ and best practice is therefore to treat them in the same way as other personal data.

• No personal identifying information (name, e-mail address etc.) should ever be given with any photos/videos used on websites, etc.

If I am reading that correctly, not even the kids are allowed to take pictures but it is ok for the company to take pictures and videos of the children in order to publish in future glossy brochures from which only they they will profit ...........

Top Bottom