php and SQL.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Book wise, I am thinking of this one.

View attachment 497236

I don't have that one but years ago I bought two or three from that brand and in general easy to follow and jump to the bits you are Interested in.

I quite like https://code.visualstudio.com as a minimalist code editor. There will be a plugin for syntax checking of PHP 7 and MYSQL etc.

I also have net beans which is good for integrating with Git repositories for code management. But is overkill and not always intuitive for a lot of stuff, particularly if just dabbling.

Little bit of maintenance advice. Try and keep the PHP code that accesses your database in a few core functions in a few files as possible. Ultimately this leads to developing APIs for the data access / functions. So if the underlying database structure changes or the database moves, the code calling the APIs doesn't need to know or change. The PHP SQL syntax are one of the things that has changed the most over the years. If it's spread throughout your code it can make maintenance difficult / time consuming, when upgrading PHP versions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
r04DiE

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Thak you @YukonBoy, great advice in there and I am loving the code editor - I have been looking for something like this for AGES!

Top Bottom