Pi advice - not Pie...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
IDMark2

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
You don't actually need a Raspberry Pi to learn programming. You could install Python on any old laptop or PC. If you wanted to could install Linux on an old laptop off ebay, install Python and away you go.
Yes, previously I have given him my old Samsung Netbook that I installed Mint on... haven't seen or heard of it since. I think perhaps the tinkering element is missing.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was going to DM him but I thought perhaps, with the disappearance of SciTech, there would be a few refugees with an interest in what comes up from this too...:okay:
It hasn't disappeared - it has just been taken over by top poster amusicsite. Still there at SCITECHGEEKS.COM!

Tin Pot

Guru
Why would anyone learn Python? Academic nonsense! ;)

The next step beyond scratch is more likely to be VB or something like that.

My son is the same age, did code club for a few years, to be honest we focussed on maths/English recently what with the 11+ exams, and Id recommend the same if you haven't done them already.

I'm toying with the idea of getting him a Pi - I think they've recently issued an even smaller product.

Tin Pot

Guru
Pi Zero, as alluded to up thread. $5 or £4. Or free on the cover of Pi magazine (if you can find one).

Unreal!

What kind of projects excite kids though? I've always held back because I dont want him to get disillusioned. We did "robots" a few years ago, but they didn't live up to his sentient, self-replicating expectations...

OP
OP
IDMark2

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
It's amazing isn't it, my generation was happy making a crystal radio with a mono earpiece even though Mum and Dad had a stereo...
It's that spirit that I want to encourage, he can run who knows how many polygons-per-second graphics intensive games shooting things on a £50 Android tablet but writing something and seeing it work for himself is, I think, more satisfying somehow.

It hasn't disappeared - it has just been taken over by top poster amusicsite. Still there at SCITECHGEEKS.COM!
Thanks colin, it just wasn't where it used to be linked on here... I thought it had gone the way of the photo one...

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I've got the Mad Scientist one the starter kits from Pimoroni. They seem good value, have the best case available (I think), and include everything you need except a Wifi dongle (which is only £6 for the official one). She's now got a better RasPi than me...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Why would anyone learn Python? Academic nonsense! ;)

The next step beyond scratch is more likely to be VB or something like that.

My son is the same age, did code club for a few years, to be honest we focussed on maths/English recently what with the 11+ exams, and Id recommend the same if you haven't done them already.

I'm toying with the idea of getting him a Pi - I think they've recently issued an even smaller product.
Personally, I can't get my head around the idea that a language that uses whitespace semantically is a good language for beginners. :wacko:

Despite your misgivings, Python is one of the favoured programming languages for schools along with Scratch. Their popularity arises from the level of support available and the numerous books that address programming in schools. They also happen to be the languages that feature in initial teacher training and in service training for ICT teachers who have never programmed - many of the existing ICT teachers have transferred from other school subjects such as science and mathematics to address the ICT staffing shortage when ICT became a core subject.

When 'Javascript is Fun', 'VB Without Tears' and 'The Joy of Macros' are published and feature in the best sellers' lists then there might be hope for their use in the computer classroom. :okay:

Tin Pot

Guru
Despite your misgivings, Python is one of the favoured programming languages for schools along with Scratch. Their popularity arises from the level of support available and the numerous books that address programming in schools. They also happen to be the languages that feature in initial teacher training and in service training for ICT teachers who have never programmed - many of the existing ICT teachers have transferred from other school subjects such as science and mathematics to address the ICT staffing shortage when ICT became a core subject.

When 'Javascript is Fun', 'VB Without Tears' and 'The Joy of Macros' are published and feature in the best sellers' lists then there might be hope for their use in the computer classroom. :okay:

Mmm, we were bemoaning this over coffee at the IoD this morning - how do we get academia better aligned to industry?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I was going to DM him but I thought perhaps, with the disappearance of SciTech, there would be a few refugees with an interest in what comes up from this too...:okay:

Buying a starter kit can be a tearful experience.

I can recommend buying a Raspberry Pi 2 starter kit from this company https://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/raspberry-pi for £75 The Maplins offering is overpriced.

They have a good track record supplying schools and mail order customers. You will get everything that you need to get the computer up and running including the operating system. It's usually the most recent version of NOOBS (New Out Of the Box System which has a few flavours of Linux on it as well as Python and Scratch.

One thing that you might like to consider purchasing is an SD card burner to create new copies of NOOBS - I've had an SD card corrupt on more than one occasion.

The beauty of Pimonori as a source is that they also stock a wide range of add ons.

I run my Raspberry Pis 'headless' that is I have them connected to the router via wifi and run them remotely from my laptop or tablet using VNC software. That eliminates the need for a dedicated screen and reduces the number of leads needed by two - power lead for the monitor and the HDMI lead to connect the Raspberry Pi to the monitor.

A cheap add on to explore digital outputs is a PiGlow which costs £9 and fits inside the Pimonori case https://shop.pimoroni.com/collections/raspberry-pi/products/piglow

Something else to be aware of is the pending distribution of free BBC micro:bit computers to year seven children - I am not sure if they will be distributed for a second year.

You can also gain an insight into what schools should be offering to secondary school pupils in computer science/computer education, have a look at this document produced by NAACE. http://www.computingatschool.org.uk/data/uploads/cas_secondary.pdf

Primary school resources are available here: http://www.teachprimarycomputing.org.uk/

A behind the scenes look at what teachers could/should be doing can be obtained here http://community.computingatschool.org.uk/files/6695/original.pdf Make of it waht you will.

Top Bottom