Pi day "grr"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
π is a perfectly valid accurate representation of Pi, is it not?
They are both symbols of something that cannot be represented accurately.

Pi is the ratio of circumference to diameter. However the circumference cannot ever be accurately represented as true circles don’t exist and the circumference is an irrational number. It is all theoretical so whatever you write will be an approximation.

Tim Hall

Will June 28th be designated Tau day?

Stephenite

Membå
When I was young we'd say (and write) March 14th, for example. Now we abbreviate it, in the interests of efficiency, to something like 14/3-18. It looks ugly to me.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

Pi is the ratio of circumference to diameter. However the circumference cannot ever be accurately represented as true circles don’t exist and the circumference is an irrational number. It is all theoretical so whatever you write will be an approximation.
You're not a mathematician, are you?

You're not a mathematician, are you?
Nope. So tell me what is an exact pi? Doesn’t every representation boil down to an expression that cannot be expressed accurately and purely exists theoretically?

Last edited:

Tim Hall

When I was young we'd say (and write) March 14th, for example. Now we abbreviate it, in the interests of efficiency, to something like 14/3-18. It looks ugly to me.
Here's what Randall has to say:
iso_8601.png

(sorry @jefmcg )

Dan B

Disengaged member

I stand willing to find out that you have a Doctorate in Semiotics or something, but what exactly do you claim the difference is between a symbol of something and a representation of the same thing?

I stand willing to find out that you have a Doctorate in Semiotics or something, but what exactly do you claim the difference is between a symbol of something and a representation of the same thing?
A good question!

What I mean is that pi is something that can never be accurately represented. Whether it be ratios of an irrational number or the sum of an infinite parts. We’ll never know what it actually is, either theoretically or practically. So whatever symbol we use it represents our approximate use of it.

This may or may not be true!

Tim Hall

I'm not so sure about the bit in bold.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ah, this would explain why Radio 3 played a composition called Pi, by Kate Bush this morning. The singer sings right through the sequence of numbers to a string melody.

Top Bottom