Picked Up The New Boardman Road Bike. Not Very Happy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Fwiw, I have a Cannondale that has had a BB servicing and was nearly brand new when I got it and it has always had less than a turn of the cranks if I try to spin it backwards. I noticed it when I first got it, but it's had no bearing (pun intended) on how fast it rides or how fast it freewheels so I think it's just some bikes behave like that.

Not that this will make a heck of a lot of difference to ya, but replacing the chain let me clean all the bits of the drivetrain that don't normally get cleaned very well, and the culprit that was stopping the cranks from spinning backwards very much was the upper jockey wheel. If I spun it there was hardly any free-spin before it stopped, but equally I could move it with a tiny amount of finger pressure so I doubt it had any effect when pedalling forward.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Just got back from a 20 miler around the block and I must say that I am well impressed with this bike.

The gear changes are so quick and precise that I can flip up and down with ease to quickly establish the exact sweet spot for any section of road. I did a section of my work commute on it and incorporated the biggest hill that I climb on my MTB commuter.

I was quicker up the hill by a good 50% and wasn't knackered at the top like I usually am on the MTB.

The rock hard tyres were no issue for me as I've always been one of those cyclists do doesn't rest fully on the saddle. The medium frame I opted for suits me perfectly and I got back home with no aches or pains.

I fitted a drop bar, bar end mirror the other day so today was also a test run for that.

Brilliant bit of kit, highly recommended.

1616228324482.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom