Picked Up The New Boardman Road Bike. Not Very Happy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you've ever watched any of the rather sweary Hambini bike videos on YouTube, you'll know that Boardman frames often have pretty crap BB dimensional tolerances, which could well explain a tight crankset that doesn't spin freely. I would be far more bothered about a fundamental dimensioning problem than I would be about some muppet leaving the bars loose or not sorting the gear indexing out. Those things are a five minute job, but if the BB isn't round or is undersized so the bearings don't fit correctly, then you've got a real problem.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Does hambini actually rate anything well? I’ve only seen a handful of his videos but they’ve been universally filled with colourful derogatory comments about whatever he happens to have in front of him at the time?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Does hambini actually rate anything well? I’ve only seen a handful of his videos but they’ve been universally filled with colourful derogatory comments about whatever he happens to have in front of him at the time?

He seems to rate highly the engineering and close manufacturing tolerances found in Look and Time frames, likewise he has definite preferences for certain manufacturers bearings. The other day he really slagged off the BB tolerances in a carbon Scott frame, yet praised the same frame's paint finish! :laugh:

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
If you've ever watched any of the rather sweary Hambini bike videos on YouTube, you'll know that Boardman frames often have pretty crap BB dimensional tolerances, which could well explain a tight crankset that doesn't spin freely. I would be far more bothered about a fundamental dimensioning problem than I would be about some muppet leaving the bars loose or not sorting the gear indexing out. Those things are a five minute job, but if the BB isn't round or is undersized so the bearings don't fit correctly, then you've got a real problem.
I popped the chain off last night just to check the crank movement and it seems good (very free, no wobble, no resistance, no noise).

I noticed that the factory chain lubricant has a very sticky feel to it so I'm not sure if this is really a lubricant or a protective coating?

There's nothing in the handbook (that I can find) to indicate what the lubricant/protective coating is? I plan to clean it off tonight (unless anyone on here knows better?).

Also, even though the FD is perfectly aligned and the changes are sweet, there is a slight rub in the FD where the chain touches the plastic wear plates. My assumption is that the wear plates are "sacrificial" and after a few rides, would have worn down enough to allow the chain to run through without any rub? I've googled the front mech (shimano 105 fd 7000) and some forums and reviews indicate that the wear plates are there to protect the chain plates from metal to metal contact and that they wear down to fit the chain.

When I was in Halfords on Wednesday getting the bike looked at, I had a fiddle with the display model and it feels exactly the same as my bike.

I've fitted a chain catcher and I've got some good quality chain lube so I'm all set for a test ride at the weekend (weather permitting).

One last thing. Regarding my spare tube, does anyone on here know what length valve I need to suit the wheels? The young guy in Halfords told me a standard length would do but looking at the rims, I'm not so sure?

DRM

Guru
Probably standard length will be ok, I recently got some Fulcrum Wheels and ordered new tubes with a slightly longer valve to allow for the extra rim depth, there's a bit too much valve sticking through, but I'll have to live with it.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Probably standard length will be ok, I recently got some Fulcrum Wheels and ordered new tubes with a slightly longer valve to allow for the extra rim depth, there's a bit too much valve sticking through, but I'll have to live with it.
Just snipped this from the picture on the Boardman site. The black section below the brake contact area appears to be solid so I assume that the valve has to penetrate through that and leave enough protrusion to take a pump?

1613116455944.png

T4tomo

Legendary Member
either 42/3 or 48mm depending on brand, defo not the 60mm ones

mythste

Veteran
I noticed that the factory chain lubricant has a very sticky feel to it so I'm not sure if this is really a lubricant or a protective coating?

This is likely to be Shimano Factory lubricant and is well heralded. I'd leave it on as long as you possible can, the chain will never feel this good again!

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
This is likely to be Shimano Factory lubricant and is well heralded. I'd leave it on as long as you possible can, the chain will never feel this good again!
It's a KMC 11 speed chain on the following groupset.

Does what you say still apply?

1613129866972.png

Top Bottom