Picking up my new bike today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think a lot has to do with unfamiliarity with this set up on the bike. I'm sure once she's spent sometime with it operation of brakes will be very much easier.

Mrs M

Guru
Very smart :okay:

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

Did Halfords show you how to use it?
Yep! He went through everything! Very thorough, but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I could put it on the turbo and practise gears before I go on a very quiet, very straight, very smooth road?
I think best way is to get on it and do it. The top brakes will give me the added security and confidence whilst I'm learning

Nonethewiser

.... and let's not even start on the gear lever action! It's a whole new world!

When I returned to cycling last autumn after a long break this was the one thing that I was a bit apprehensive about as my previous bikes had all been equipped with down tube gear shifters. In the event I found the brifters on my new bike to be easy to use. The first time I stuck my arm out to signal, however, on my modern twitchy (compared to my old bike) roadbike nearly had me biting the tarmac!! If you are a bit unsure regarding use of the brifters then putting the bike on your turbo whilst you practice might well be a good idea.

tom73

Guru
Coming off is no fun , it happen's you will soon get use to thing's I did my 1st ride out was interesting I'd all on to stay in a single line. But I was soon off and about with little issue.
As had been said find quite road's and stick to them. Use the same route/ road's for a bit get to know them and how to ride them and how your bike work's and feel's then add a bit of a few new one's to the route and you will soon the well away. Just stay safe, take your time, build up the time in the saddle but remember big thing... enjoy it.

OP
OP
Sjw

Sjw

Hopefully be done on tuesday. Been given a 6 mile quiet loop round frampton way which I want to explore.
First I'll go up and down my road to get the feel of things.

tony6655

Getting back on the road after a couple of years and l'm also going for a Zelos. Collecting it from Halfords later and riding it home. I've tried to pick a route without too many hills but if you've ever been to Barry you'll know how easy that is My partner is concerned about my heart ( because I'm not insured).

Top Bottom