Picture of my new bike if anybody is interested..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

http://img525.images...6/mybikehe1.jpg
mybikehe1.jpg

Gradually I'm getting it together ...
...Daws Galaxy 2007, Carradice overlander Panniers & bar bag, Shimano spds, Brooks honey B17.

In the rear bags I have a Decathlon 2 man tent, my super huge bloke sleeping bag, my trangia 27 cookset and various bits of clothing....front bags are empty but I am going to re pack and sread the load a bit.

Feels like Christmas!:tongue:

Just the thing to go to work on :?:

Have fun :tongue:

Brock

Looks great BTFB!
Have you tried actually sleeping on that mat thing though? I'd seriously consider one of the Thermarest style self inflating options unless you're sure you can get a good night's sleep on what you have.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...yep..I've slept out in the tent twice now on that mat. It's from Blacks in Lakeside. Have to say they werent th ebest nights sleep I've ever had, but I am hoping that I'll be to knackered to care after a day in the saddle. I have an inflatable mat, but it is heavy...and then there is the pump or the huffing and puffing....Also the matt is pretty thick as mats go...and it's long so if the ground is rough I can fold it double and still have my torso on the mat....
...I also have a supply of Zopiclone in the bar bag!

videoman

Guru
Looks very nice, new and shiny with all that spare pannier space but I'm sure you'll soon fill them. I would really like to own a bike like yours and just go off touring for a few weeks.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

yep I am a lucky chap...had to dig deep though and the Mrs has been 100% behind me on this....(I keep telling her it's not a tandem but she won't listen...:tongue::biggrin:)

...it's all new territory for me, and I am aware it's perhaps a little to shiny still...wont be long though 'till it get's to look more 'road cred':smile:

...Since I got it a couple of months ago I have done 1200 kilometres which is just short of a 1000 miles I reckon (ish)....now the real work starts...dragging that lot up some hills...and taking the flack from the Essex Chavs....:?::rolleyes:

Slowgrind

You lucky blighter BTFB. I`ve been following your threads and think that you must now be ready for some great adventure. Keep us posted. :tongue:

Brock

Yeah I wish it was mine, you definitely made the right choice with the honey coloured Brooks, looks great with the classic green. Looking forward to hearing about your adventure, when did you say you were heading off?
How about a third bottle cage perhaps for your meths bottle?

You wouldn't need to worry about a pump or huffing and puffing with a 'self inflating mat' though mate, the biggest chore with them is squeezing the air out in the morning when you roll them up. These Airic mats are much cheaper than the hugely respected Thermarest mats you might have seen in Blacks, they roll up small and light, and make a vast difference to comfort during the night. I was exhausted after a week's tour on a roll-up foam mat, waking at least three or four times during the night with painful shoulder and hip, probably made worse because I'm pretty big, tall and fat myself :tongue: whereas on the Airic I generally slept the entire night through, properly fresh and ready for a decent mileage the next day. I don't mean to go on, and maybe your experience will be different to mine, but it's crucial that your down time is as restful as possible :biggrin: :smile:
You could even get a red one so you'd still be colour coordinated :?:
Either way, you look like you're just about ready to roll, hopefully you'll share some photos with us on your return!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...well the plan is to set orf on the 17th or 18th of August. In the meantime I will be riding locally with th eload to get a realistic idea of the distances I can do and get used to how th ebike handles. I will be doing one overnight at a local campsite as well next weekend to make sure I have the right gear and learn how to use it and iron out any problems. I read that would be a good idea.
I have a small handheld digital camera (Minolta dimage xt) so i should be able to get some reasonable pics, only thing with it is that the charger has to come along for the ride as well and it's heavier than I would like.

Those self inflating mats look good actually. They are still MUCH heavier than my roll mat though, and right now being a big heavy bloke on a big heavy bike the extra weight is something i have to consider very carefully. I am not great on hills as it is, so i don't need to make it any tougher. Having said that lack of sleep will be a killer as well the next day....catch 22 again....I'm finding there are lots of those in cycling!..Anothe roption I have would be to get a second roll mat, they are lighter (and cheaper) and if necessary I could then put one under the ground sheet for added protection as well as some extra padding. Only thing is they are bulky on the bike....but I could tie one to the top of each rear pannier no problem.

....I have just about blown my savings on the gear I have bought already so I am going to have to run with what i have...On this trip if I find sleep is an issue I will catch up at a B&b or hostel...

I will probably add a third bottle and cage under the frame lower down...it has a facility for that. As you say the meths can go there.I will probably swap the cage for one of the exisiting ones and add a new cage capable of holding a 1.5litre bottle of evian etc. I'll need it as I drink a lot of water as I ride....since my kidney stone operations i fear dehydration BIG Time!

...the saddle is a brooks B17 Champion in honey colour...I got it 100% level last night with a spirit level and it's comfy already....although I still need to do a day long ride on it.

I have packed some black bin liners in th eoutside pockets of the panniers. Although there is an inner rain liner and th ebag itself is 'shower' proof, after yesterdays deluge I felt this would be a good thing so I could quickly cover each pannier if the heaven open like that again....I will also pack the roll mat up in a black binliner sack.

Top Bottom