Pietersen out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wormo

Guru
It's not about liking a teammate, it's about trust and respect. Once that goes a team struggles. Plenty of stories about football players not liking each other, but still respected each other. KP has crossed that line.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
He's a nobber (© whoever it is here who frequently uses that epithet, I can't remember who it is)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Well, he's not been picked for India. Which is probably sensible, given that the tour will prove very demanding

Cheddar George

oober member
Leaving him out of the test series isn't a great loss in my opinion. Having watched him play a few times in the last IPL it is the world 20/20 where he will be missed, his performances for Delhi were outstanding.

The batting selection for India is lightweight and inexperienced. Leaving out KP is a childish move by the ECB and will contribute to a humiliating Test defeat, IMO.

Whilst not a fan of Pietersen (he's an arrogant fool with too large an opinion of himself) there's no denying his ability as a cricketer - and he's one of the few world class players England have available to them. It is ridiculous to omit him from the team.

Other players have upset the harmony of the dressing room before (Swan, Prior and Broad, IIRC) but they are in with the right crowd in the bureacracy of English cricket.

In the 'old days' the best 11 players were selected and the captain was picked from them. Nowadays, the team coach, Andy Flower at present, has far too much control and influence over team selection: look at past coaches and heads of depts. at Englsih cricket - below average Test players and average county cricketers. It ain't good enough, but, I suppose, if you're a yes man, then you're OK, and it's a job for the boys (within their own network of friends).

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
In the 'old days' the best 11 players were selected and the captain was picked from them. Nowadays, the team coach, Andy Flower at present, has far too much control and influence over team selection: look at past coaches and heads of depts. at Englsih cricket - below average Test players and average county cricketers. It ain't good enough, but, I suppose, if you're a yes man, then you're OK, and it's a job for the boys (within their own network of friends).
You're quite right Dayvo, and that's why the performance of the England team across all forms of the game has been so lamentably woeful over the last few years. They've hardly won a game, have they? Let alone something really important, like an Ashes series.

You're quite right Dayvo, and that's why the performance of the England team across all forms of the game has been so lamentably woeful over the last few years. They've hardly won a game, have they? Let alone something really important, like an Ashes series.

Fair point, SRW, achieving no.1 ranking is definitely not a bad effort. TBH, though, I'm not concerned with one-day/T20 cricket (entertaining as it is). Test cricket is (IMO) the monitor of skill and supremacy.

The Ashes series of 2005 could have gone either way, but England, overall, were, marginally, the stronger team throughout the series.

The 2006/07 5-0 drubbing by Australia showed that we hadn't developed and had become arrogant and nonchalent.

Back in England in 2009 (after losing several major players to retirement) Australia lost the final deciding Test and England regained the Ashes.

Only the 2010/11 series did England thoroughly outplay Australia (with Alastair Cook playing himself into the book of Ashes legends).

England became the world no.1 in August last year: they then managed to lose 3-0 to Pakistan five months later. Then they struggled to a draw against Sri Lanka (with Pietersen scoring 193 for once out in winning the 2nd Test) in the early spring of 2012.

England beat a poor West Indies side this summer, then followed it up with a resounding defeat to South Africa, who took over the world no.1 title.

My point is, England are not as good as statistics make them out to be. As the world no. 1 Test team, they didn't win a series (except against a hitherto-mentioned poor West Indies team).

I'll declare there! :smile:

green1

Über Member
Like Ian Botham, I don't think he did nets:thumbsup:
He did and still does... as long as it's a landing net while he's fishing.

Anything is possible with Pietersen - but I suspect that its more a way of putting a bit of pressure on the ECB - the question is would the saffers have him back

rich p

ridiculous old lush
A bit like Lance Armstrong, these 'fallen heroes' have no self awareness of when to leave the stage gracefully.

He'll need to change this
upload_2016-4-11_15-40-37.jpeg
to this:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdsw0COfb9tLJNm5qNLNBt5e9HW4WglennGfI02c9yjMNNsMd2Jg.png

Ouch!

Top Bottom