Piles/ haemorroids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlamorganGuy

Not the easiest topic to broach, but hoping I'm among supportive folk here... For the first time in my life I seem to be suffering with piles and the discomfort and itchiness are really getting me down. I find it hard to discuss in real life but I would really welcome advice for anything that might bring me relief, what to do, if the problem will resolve itself. I have a healthy diet now but suspect this is the result of past constipation and straining on the toilet. Any remedies that can help me out?

OldShep

Über Member
Had them a couple of times. First time I bought a specific cream. Second time I just applied Virgin Olive oil. If I ever suffer again my choice would be Olive oil.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Germoloids cream. Works wonders, is very soothing and has mild anaesthetic in it so gets rid of the pain after 10 minutes or so. Apply up to 3 times a day (or check instructions on the packet). Don't wipe too hard and don't strain on the toilet. Just sit there for 2 minutes and let it come out; if it doesn't then get up and try again later!

Kajjal

Guru
As above had similar and it was due to diet and an under active bowel (not the real medical term). A bowl of bran flakes along with eating fruit and veg each day and luckily everything is back to normal. Much better after a couple of weeks and fine after about a month.

Last edited:
Diet.
Bidet or shower clean with cool water.
I found that cycling was easier than walking if your saddle acts to separate rather than compress the glutus maximus

presta

Guru
My father had piles, he persevered for donkeys years with Witch Hazel cream, but eventually opted for surgery, and I think that fixed it. I've had numerous colonoscopies relating to a bowel tumour, and they usually comment on a 'small pile', but without that I'd be unaware of it. I get nearly twice the recommended amount of fibre in my diet so my stools are usually pretty loose, but on the occasions they aren't, I find it's better to apply gentle pressure and sustain it continuously rather than straining hard.

OP
OP
GlamorganGuy

GlamorganGuy

Germoloids cream. Works wonders, is very soothing and has mild anaesthetic in it so gets rid of the pain after 10 minutes or so. Apply up to 3 times a day (or check instructions on the packet). Don't wipe too hard and don't strain on the toilet. Just sit there for 2 minutes and let it come out; if it doesn't then get up and try again later!
Thanks. I'm trying Anusol right now but if anything it feels worse. Not straining is good advice but hard to follow. Even with a fibre rich diet I feel like nothing will happen unless I give it some welly.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not straining is good advice but hard to follow. Even with a fibre rich diet I feel like nothing will happen unless I give it some welly.
One person's "fibre rich" is another person's "fibre poverty stricken"! :laugh:

My family members probably think that they eat plenty of fibre but I get bunged up every time I go to stay with them and eat what they eat. I never have that problem on my normal diet.

This is fibre rich...

(That is ONE serving! :whistle:)

Reactions: C R

presta

Guru

My family members probably think that they eat plenty of fibre but I get bunged up every time I go to stay with them and eat what they eat. I never have that problem on my normal diet.

This is fibre rich...

View attachment 605145

I eat 8 portions (640g) of fruit and veg a day, but that still only accounts for 30% of my fibre intake. Brown bread and breakfast cereal account for 49%.

OP
OP
GlamorganGuy

GlamorganGuy

This is fibre rich...

View attachment 605145

This is basically what's happened to me. I returned from a stay with relatives, during which I didn't go to the toilet at all. I got home and found it was a case of Houston, we have a problem. Now drinking water and eating large amounts of steamed cabbage. Unfortunately even breaking wind hurts!

Top Bottom