Piles/ haemorroids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Germoloids cream. Works wonders, is very soothing and has mild anaesthetic in it so gets rid of the pain after 10 minutes or so.

Thanks. I'm trying Anusol right now but if anything it feels worse.

For the shorter term effects I agree with Electric Andy, Germaloids is the only cream that gave me pain relief and helped with the issue, it has lidocaine which dials any soreness right down. I tried the other creams and they did nothing at all.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
None of the over the counter things are of any use. You need to see a GP and get something prescribed which is much more effective.
They may recommend surgery as a last resort.
One GP told me that she had surgery and the first bowel movement after the op was like passing a red hot cannonball wrapped in barbed wire. She was not wrong as I found out but bathing in warm salted water helped.
This was some years ago and things are probably not so bad now.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Don’t go riding on cold wet saddles.
Try warm salt water baths.
An aunt suffers dreadfully despite a v good diet. She swears by a bath with salt (specifically Epsom Salts). I've always wondered if my 25kg bags of water softener salt would give her the same effect for a fraction of the price. A shame it's pressed into chunky puck shapes!

presta

Guru
I returned from a stay with relatives, during which I didn't go to the toilet at all.
I once had a stay in hospital when I didn't go at all. The staff just thought it was a big joke, so I refused to go home until they gave me a suppository.
One GP told me that she had surgery and the first bowel movement after the op was like passing a red hot cannonball wrapped in barbed wire. She was not wrong as I found out but bathing in warm salted water helped.
This was some years ago and things are probably not so bad now.
Since you raised the subject, my father's pile surgery was a bit grim too. The worst bit was when they pulled a packing piece out the day after, but it was quite a few weeks IIRC before he could walk far. That was about 40 years ago.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, you really don't want to go for the surgery option. A friend of mine had it some while ago. I remember going to visit him in hospital after the op. He wasn't too comfortable. A nurse walked into his room to to take his temperature. Good job he's not a dog I remarked.

albal

Guru
Fellow sufferer. Here. Nightmare for a couple years or more. As others have posted. Over the counter stuff don't work for me. I,m on a repeat prescription of some ointment. Can't remember name proctosydal. Sounds about right. It works sort of. The the itching is getting me down. Gave up eating meat 2019. Still the same problems. Perhaps try junk food as not tried that yet!.. I'll take any advice.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't give up on the diet @albal . I had it for a few years at least as bad as you, bleeding and bad itching, as I said upthread.
I still eat meat but greatly increased intake of veg's and fruit together with Porridge oats for breakfast. I guess I'm lucky here as fruit is so cheap. We've got this ridiculously expensive blender which my wife bought but it's great for reducing fruit. Pineapple is of particular benefit but so is mango and others. I've had no problems for a few years now.

OP
OP
GlamorganGuy

GlamorganGuy

Fellow sufferer. Here. Nightmare for a couple years or more. As others have posted. Over the counter stuff don't work for me. I,m on a repeat prescription of some ointment. Can't remember name proctosydal. Sounds about right. It works sort of. The the itching is getting me down. Gave up eating meat 2019. Still the same problems. Perhaps try junk food as not tried that yet!.. I'll take any advice.
Yup I can relate to that. Every time I cough it hurts down there. Starting to think that it's running that caused the irritation. Have looked online and it seems to be a common problem for runners (and cyclists to a lesser extent). Slapping on some Vaseline before going for a run/cycle ride seems to be the advice. I hope things get better for you. Also, I find bread really makes things worse and stopping eating it has helped in the past - the yeast can really cause bad itching.

Had them for about 10yrs i'd guess, 3 suggestions:

1. Diet as others have suggested
  2. Cleanliness is hyper important
  3. A decent cream to reduce the irritation when they flare up
Mine used to really bother me and i thought i was going to have to go to the grape harvester (as they say here), but my Doc was quite against it. Having since focused on No2 (no pun...) i can say it's really really important. Sweat is a real catalyst in causing a flare up, a simple dog walk in summer for me could achieve that but just make sure you keep clean. Wet wipes are really good but we banned those in our house a few years back so moist (wetted) regular loo paper is just as effective.

It's amazing how the old chalfonts can really grate on you and get you down:stop:

I keep a tube of magic creme (they all work pretty well) in my briefcase, in my travel bag, in my car and in the bathroom:okay:

In case of inflammation when quick relief is required, buy (in a special colour so you KNOW what they're for) a cheap pack of facecloths/flannels. You want cheap ones, not thick luxurious ones. Wash a couple of times in with everything else to get all the 'finish' out of them.
Prepare approximately normal saline - teaspoon of salt dissolved in a pint of water. Soak a flannel in this, squeeze out a little of the saline so it's not absolutely sopping wet, place in a plastic bag or small tupperware-type container and place in the fridge for several hours. Do this with two or three of the flannels.

When itching and inflammation is overwhelming, grab one of these icy-cold flannels in its box or bag, take it into the toilet with you and, holding it by diagonally-opposite corners, apply the wet and chilly thing to your itchy bit.
Ahhhh Bliss!
Prepare a few freshly every day during a flare-up so you always have some ready for use.
If you feel brave you can put them in the freezer or an ice compartment for a short time; you only want them barely slushy, no more.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Had them for about 10yrs i'd guess, 3 suggestions:

1. Diet as others have suggested
  2. Cleanliness is hyper important
  3. A decent cream to reduce the irritation when they flare up
Mine used to really bother me and i thought i was going to have to go to the grape harvester (as they say here), but my Doc was quite against it. Having since focused on No2 (no pun...) i can say it's really really important. Sweat is a real catalyst in causing a flare up, a simple dog walk in summer for me could achieve that but just make sure you keep clean. Wet wipes are really good but we banned those in our house a few years back so moist (wetted) regular loo paper is just as effective.

It's amazing how the old chalfonts can really grate on you and get you down:stop:

I keep a tube of magic creme (they all work pretty well) in my briefcase, in my travel bag, in my car and in the bathroom:okay:
Wet wipes should be ok but I think general advice is to avoid soap when cleaning. Just plain water works. You can get portable bidets which sit on top of the loo seat which can be useful.

Top Bottom