1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pimp my fixie

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Maggot, 3 Oct 2007.

1. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

After a few months of riding around on my bodged up £4 tip bike (Raleigh Record Ace) which I have converted to fixed, I have decided not to buy a new Langster, but instead to keep the Raleigh.

So tomorrow the old bird goes away, and the next time I see her she will be resprayed (Gold of course) be sporting new 531 stickers, have a new stem and bottom bracket, new fixed wheels and, of course, have the old Raleigh head tube badge re-installed!

Someone tell me I have made the right decision not buying a Langster but investing in the oldie:wacko:

2. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

You did right - that's exactly what I'm riding! It's not too stiff in the BB area but it's a nice comfy frame for less than perfect roads. Also far less likely to be nicked (especially with guards and stickers all over it like mine!) :biggrin:.

3. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

You did exactly right, buying a wrongster is like buying Zafira and drinking Stella.........

4. starseven

starseven Guest

I thought it was a Mini driven by a estate agent or was it recruitment agent in a Beetle.

Oh I'm confused now!:biggrin:

5. Yes you did the right thing. It's much better, for my money, to have something individual and different.

6. peejay78

peejay78 Well-Known Member

a close shave. buying the langster is a bit like denying the holocaust in terms of moral equivalence.

7. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

All joking aside, it's a very nice 531 frame so given that it cost £4 and I suspect the rest of the bits will still come to a lot less than a langster + new wheels (you need to get the two together!) - it would've been a bit of a waste of money to buy it.

Just don't come to Birmingham and stop next to me at the lights :biggrin:

8. OP
    OP
    Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I won't be coming to Birmingham in a hurry, but may well widn up at the lights next to you in Bristol. Thats where I work a lot of the time!!!

9. turbo tim

turbo tim New Member

If it's going away for a respray, why not push the boat out, so to speak, and have the dropouts replaced with some track ends. You could even have the back end respaced to 120OLN at the same time. Voilà, a road geometry track bike, just like a Condor Pista, only nicer!

10. Number14

Number14 Senior Member

If it's an old Raleigh then it will already have horizontal dropouts.

11. GrahamG

GrahamG Über Member

That's not a bad idea from Tim, if the frame was a better fit for me then I might bother doing that with a respray but it's fudged with a tall stem and seat-pin! I think I'll just pickup a Bob jackson frame whenever this one dies, although I expect that'll be a few years yet.

12. Valiant

Valiant Senior Member

You made the right choice :biggrin: Photos?

13. peejay78

did someone say "bob jackson"?

1319780022_db7ea21937.jpg

(any excuse)

14. ghitchen

ghitchen Well-Known Member

Why is it that every time I've managed to convince myself that I don't want a fixie another thread like this comes along to sow the seeds of doubt yet again?

15. peejay78

look at the lovely steel above, the lugs, the joyousness... you need one.