Pimp my ride Detroit style

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Wouldn't want to go any distance on one or try to ride up anything steeper that a speed bump. Pretty cool just the same.

gbb

Legendary Member
I so wish I'd taken photos but when i was working in inland Egypt, 2010, I sat outside the packhouse having a ciggie (I used to smoke then) , just watching the world go by and two maybe 13YO boys came riding up on their brightly coloured bikes, like something kids would ride here in the 1960s I guess...but each had a footie scarf, (Mancester United, note the spelling) fixed under the top tube, multi coloured tassles hanging from the handlebar grips, just generally pimped up. Hey hey I laughed and we kinda chatted, neither understanding each other I suspect..
Just harmless fun...

Very interesting, those custom bikes. Not many people appreciate the amount of work that goes into such a bike. For instance, have a close look at this photo.
Pimping ride.JPG

Look specifically at the front wheel of that yellow wheeler on the left. Attempt to count the spokes. I did and I get 144. Correct me if I'm wrong. Now imagine building those wheels. First you have to do some maths and find an existing rim with 36 or so spokes and then calculate how to superimpose your extra holes. Then you have to feed in 144 spokes. Then the trouble starts. You have to turn each nipple say 9 times without being able to turn the nipple spanner even 1 /16th of a revolution. Look how small the hub flange is. Figure out the distance between adjacent spoke holes and think of the margin of error.
Superb work.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can't see the cranks, my eyes got stuck on the cup holders. Cheap cranks or not, those are two ice-cool dudes.
Absolute zero cool. Minus 273.15 Celsius cool. ( I had to google it). Cucumber cool.

Look on the site - some cheap cranks. Have to be bling ones on rides like that.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Look specifically at the front wheel of that yellow wheeler on the left. Attempt to count the spokes. I did and I get 144. Correct me if I'm wrong. Now imagine building those wheels
:headshake:

Top Bottom