Pimped Brompton weirdness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscross1966

Über Member
The chain jumps i expect. Folks have built working coaster brake Bromptons, Steve Parry did one but he put a horizontal dropout on the triangle so you tensioned the chain to taut at normal position. IIRC it had locked out suspension and a very light rider..

Drago

Legendary Member
Devalues it with all that very, very niche crap and a paintjob that would leave even Barbie feeling queasy, and he thinks that somehow justifies doubling the price? Jeez, if Mark Carney should see it that'd be enough to downgrade the countries economic forecast for the next quarter, it's that hideous.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I had a bigwheeled bike back in the 80ies that had a Torpedo 3-speed hub with a coaster brake and was modified by me to a 6-speed halfstep setup like the one Brompton offers, using a derailleur. Sachs offered an upgrade kit for that back then. So it was a coaster brake with a chain tensioner, quite similar to the one on the pimped bike. The coaster brake still worked but it was very frightening as it took ages in terms of time until the brake started braking as the travel way of the pedal had increased massively due to the derailleur/chain tensioner. Additionally the brake had gotten way softer through the modification. I did not like that and added another caliper brake. No way that I would ride with such a brake as the only one available. Quite dangerous, to say it frankly.

Kell

Veteran
I used to have a Raleigh Strika with a coaster brake.

Hated it.

Was brilliant for doing skids mind.

ETA: this is not my bike by the way, this looks like it has rim brakes.

ETA (again): According to wiki, early models had coaster brakes AND rim brakes.

strika.jpg

Attachments

• Raleigh-Striker-Kids-Bike-Vintage-1980-Retro-Burner.jpg
    Raleigh-Striker-Kids-Bike-Vintage-1980-Retro-Burner.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Coaster brakes are quite good for all-weather commuting but not with a chain tensioner! It will probably snap under hard braking.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Aside from the coaster, it doesn't have any other brakes, I wouldn't dare ride it.

You have to admire the chutzpah of whoever thought that could be sold, at that price tag, without any scruples about safety or anything else?

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
What the heck is that ?
To think it was a good idea and then to top it off with 2 grand price tag is a total act of brass neck.

Top Bottom