PInarello elastomeric suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
i'm not sure i like the look of it
1428011420716-15k64c4ryzoqq-1960-540.jpg

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/ne...8-s-rear-suspension-road-bike-released-43982/

i don't like the seat tube and think the whole bike looks a bit squashed. that and the bottle cages are touching, although at least this one and possibly even the squashedness might be better on a larger frame?

although of course these bikes are made with aero-dynamics, weight and general speed being the priorities
Cheers Ed

Drago

Legendary Member
And the Proflex was bloody awful!

I'd like to think it'd work, but I'm suspicious of anything that compromises the rigidity of the structure mounting the drive train on a road bike, where the priority is every house of energy is supposed to become thrust.

I guess we'll see.

young Ed

Veteran
And the Proflex was bloody awful!

I'd like to think it'd work, but I'm suspicious of anything that compromises the rigidity of the structure mounting the drive train on a road bike, where the priority is every house of energy is supposed to become thrust.

I guess we'll see.
i can understand if a halfords bike was badly designed and didn't work too well but from a 10 grand pinarello used by the likes of team sky in TDF etc i would expect they have tested it and the pro's have worked it out to make sure it works well
i wouldn't be all too happy if i was riding my 10 grand pinarello dogma down a fill at 60 mph and the rear end fell away back down the hill!
Cheers Ed

Citius

Realistically, the only thing that helps on the cobbles is high-volume tyres at low pressures. You only have to look at the hammering that the motorcycles and team cars get on the cobbles to understand that suspension is not the answer.

Good PR gimmick by Sky though.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Proflex was awful. MBR did a vintage full squidge test a year or so back and were appalled. My own experience would agree.

Ed, I'd like to.think you're right. I guess the thinking is that the tiny loss of pedalling efficiency would be offset by the system keeping the wheel on the road better. But, and its a big but, just because a.prestigious.company has come up with the idea doesn't make it any good, or even neutral in terms of its effect. In the cycling pantheon alone we have the likes of Biopace, low normal mechs, and Headshocks to remind us of this.

Brailsford, being Brailsford, will have tested and measured this machine to the tiniest degree. I wait with interest to see if they use it in either Flanders of Paris Roubaix. Looking at it with practically zero engineering knowledge, I wonder how much energy will be lost in compressing the springs upwards on the pedal stroke.

Citius

The Proflex was awful. MBR did a vintage full squidge test a year or so back and were appalled. My own experience would agree.

Well, obviously. Modern riders, used to riding modern FS bikes suddenly jump on a 25 year-old FS (which was probably being ridden before they were born) and discover it's nothing like as good as the modern stuff. Hold the front page.

At the time of its launch (ie early 90s) the bikes got excellent reviews - not terrible ones - you only have to look it up on the internet to see for yourself. You'd probably be appalled if you drove a 1991 Renault Clio today - but it was still car of the year back then. That's the point I'm making.

Last edited:

Citius

Looking at it with practically zero engineering knowledge, I wonder how much energy will be lost in compressing the springs upwards on the pedal stroke.

I imagine they probably considered that - and concluded that any such losses were insignificant (especially once underway) when compared to any potential gains.

midlife

Guru
I'm not into modern stuff but when I was looking for a brand new bike a couple of years ago (I bought a Basso) I seem to remember LaPierre did something similar?

Shaun

Citius

I'm not into modern stuff but when I was looking for a brand new bike a couple of years ago (I bought a Basso) I seem to remember LaPierre did something similar?

Shaun

Lapierre Pulsium - used at last year's Roubaix. Not foggetting the Trek Domane, or even the Spec Roubaix itself.

Top Bottom