Pinarello Marvel opinions sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
Morning CycleChat collective.

I’ve got the chance to get a hardly used Pinarello Marvel and will test ride it soon.
From its colour scheme it’s the 2014 model.
I tried doing research on this bike but there seem to be hardly any reviews.
Does anyone know why this might be - was it sold for a short period or something.

Does anyone have one or has ridden one and can give me a quick review.
I’m not bothered about the wheels as my Hunt Aero will be put on it.

This will be my first carbon bike - I’m coming from a 2012 Giant Defy 1 - and I’m not sure if my expectations of the change will leave me underwhelmed or if it will blow my socks off or even that it might show all the frailties of me as a rider because I can’t tell the difference.

If it’s the latter I might as well buy a 2015 Wilier Gran Tourismo I’ve got an eye on at about half the price, so as a bike is the Pinarello really going to be that much better?

vickster

Legendary Member
What sort of riding, distance, climbing, speeds etc do you do? Do you race or plan to? Or time trials?

I'd be surprised if you notice a 100% improvement or even 50%. Do you want a carbon bike and is the money not an issue? If yes to both, then buy it

Never heard of a Pinarello Marvel myself (stupid name), is it a race or more endurance frame? If buying second hand carbon, check it over very well and as with any used bike, make sure it's the sellers to sell

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
marvel.jpg

Looks like a race bike to me. Probably ok for longish day rides. Nice bike.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Morning CycleChat collective.

I’ve got the chance to get a hardly used Pinarello Marvel and will test ride it soon.
From its colour scheme it’s the 2014 model.
I tried doing research on this bike but there seem to be hardly any reviews.
Does anyone know why this might be - was it sold for a short period or something.

Does anyone have one or has ridden one and can give me a quick review.
I’m not bothered about the wheels as my Hunt Aero will be put on it.

This will be my first carbon bike - I’m coming from a 2012 Giant Defy 1 - and I’m not sure if my expectations of the change will leave me underwhelmed or if it will blow my socks off or even that it might show all the frailties of me as a rider because I can’t tell the difference.

If it’s the latter I might as well buy a 2015 Wilier Gran Tourismo I’ve got an eye on at about half the price, so as a bike is the Pinarello really going to be that much better?
A review here--http://one-more-hill.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/bike-review-pinarello-marvel-limpero.html

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
I suppose as Vickster kind of raises, a bit of background might help.

I've had my aluminium Giant since I started road riding nearly 3 years ago and I've upgraded it to full 105 and decent wheels. Its a bit like triggers broom now.

Its a great bike but I promised myself if I stuck at cycling I'd get a nicer bike and now I'm hooked its time to retire the Giant to winter duties.
I like the challenge of hills and and I'm told I'm a strong rider. I completed the Fred Whitton and Amstel Gold sportives last year. A flat fast 40miles doesn't really do much for me.
I'm 55yrs old, 6ft 1in, long bodied and at summer weight just over 13st.
So I'm hardly a racer but enjoy the struggle of climbing and the thrill of tearing back down a big hill.

I initially didn't want a carbon bike just because I don't like being the same as everyone else and I really really don't like this whole black bike stealth thing.. I'm awkward I guess.
So I was thinking of sticking with Aluminium, which meant Kinesis Racelight Aithein in Orange or Bowman Palace in Green
That was until this mint Pinarello popped up on my doorstep at £1800

Last edited:

Oldbloke

Guru
I had a 2015 Pinarello Rokh which was similar to the Marvel; again, very few reviews available. Nice bike, I bought it in Halfords when they were knocking the Pinarello stuff out at sale prices. The RRP at the time was around £3,400 which was scandalously overpriced; I paid about half that.

Comfortable, well built & reasonably quick, but don't expect a Dogma^_^^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
If hills are your thing, probably get the lightest bike possible?

Build yourself from components?

How much cash do you have?

U

User33236

My wife and son both have a Marvel and both bought from The Bike Rooms in Manchester in their ‘Outlet’ sales at bargain prices.

Both love them, my son in particular as his other bike is a CAAD8 which he says it heavy and lifeless in comparison. He does complain more about the state of the roads when on his Marvel though :laugh:

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
If hills are your thing, probably get the lightest bike possible?

Build yourself from components?

How much cash do you have?
Well the Pinarello is £1800 though my original budget was around £1500 and I have no issue with 2nd user depending on condition obviously.
I've never ridden DI2 either so I'm not necessarily hung up on that over manual if its a deal breaker.

vickster

Legendary Member
What does the Pinarello weigh?

Personally I wouldn’t spend that much on a 5 year old (in model terms) second hand carbon bike. You get no warranty and no comeback if there’s an issue

Problem with Di2 is replacement parts are very costly (something like £300 for a mech?)

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
Probably fairly firm @Oldbloke but I didn't see the point in discussing price until I'd actually seen and tested the bike.

I've gone back around the same ruddy circle in my head again now. I think I'm going mad.

I love my Giant Defy but its getting old and battle scarred so lets upgrade.
To what?
I prefer Aluminium.
why? you've never ridden Carbon how do you know
I don't - so lets get on one.
But they are all black, same shoot different groupset, anything older than a couple of years scares people and have WARNING stamped all over any discussion about them.
OK, get Titanium
Lovely things. I lurve Lynskey. But they are expensive and I've seen issues with heavier riders and you're 85kg at best.
OK, stick with Auminium then
goto line 1

Then the other loop is buy vs build because I already have a nice set of 'summer' wheels.

I thought I'd answered those demons when I found the Kinesis Aithein and Bowman Palace:R but then the Pinarello popped up, distracted me and blew my budget to bits.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not all carbon bikes are black. I linked a Cannondale that isn’t for example

Load of twaddle ref rider weight and Titanium

Go to Evans and testride a carbon bike with the groupset you want and see what you think

Top Bottom