Pinch Points in the Road - Can I do More?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Include an arm signal when moving into primary...drivers realise your intent to move out.

ChrisW

"Quote:
Originally Posted by gambatte
I think Magnatom is right that Cab is right that he (Magnatom) is right that Arch and Jacomus have got it right.

Right?

No.... I think your wrong there....."

My head hurts......:blush:

Arch

Married to Night Train
So, am I right?

:angry:

OT from just pinch points, I find there's quite a lot of power in really frequent life saver looks just before you need to make a move. I'm sure that sometimes a driver behind slows because I'm doing it, and they therefore expect me to move out. Also, it makes eye contact, however fleetingly. So they know that I know that they know... Oh, I'm confused again...

Of course there's a slight gamble - are they really going to stay slow, or speed up again, but I can often take advantage of the slight pause to muscle my way across the traffic, if I'm turning right for example.

Of course, it might just be that my face wears such an ugly scowl, they back off in horror...:blush:

frog

Ain't as supple as you young things :blush: I'v found that making the move out a good distance into the primary position works reasonably well. I aim to run over the base of the 'L' in 'SLOW' if it's written on the road. Having a Dinotte rear light helps as well.

Really going to have a go at the hand signal next week. Many Thanks for that :angry:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are dangerous - use the same stretch - not too bad in the morning as the traffic is usually at a stand still, but the buggers don't move/allow you room to pass on the outside, never mind the inside.....I have been known to go on the opposite carriageway. There are afew other bad ones on my route as well, not much you can do

squeaker

Über Member
A solution?

I have experienced a twunt in a Mercedes 'solving' the 'cyclist in the way at a pinch point' problem by going the wrong side of the traffic island (in a village high street - lots of peds around too). :blush:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
As yet I have been unlucky, no tanks have magically appeared.

Just a Victorian S&M couple on blades and a homemade Dalek!?
:blush::biggrin:

Top Bottom