Pinch points

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShipHill

Where I ride there are only a few of those central refuges down the A38 north of Droitwich.

I was riding towards one yesterday and there was a constant stream of traffic passing me and I'm getting closer and closer and I thought "this lot either ain't going to ease up for a second or they don't realise the situation we're heading for here".

So I stuck my right arm out... pointed at the refuge about 20-30 yards away now... and the guy/gal behind eased up. I gave a wee shoulder check and could hear their engine note alter. I gave them the thumb up once we were through. They neither waved or tooted or anything so I guess they took it all in their stride, or maybe they wouldn't have tried squeezing through anyway. Maybe they learned something, but I don't think they were outraged. Miracle I know.

Is that the sort of approach you folks take? I know a lot of you ride in places like that there London where these refuges must be quite numerous.

PocketFrog

Northern Monkey
Similar, yeah - I always thank courtesy just so they know that I was in primary for a reason and not just to delay them. It really does go a long way.

Koga

I normally do a "thank you wave" for cars who waited behind me. I can't see their response, but my theory is that next time they are behind me they will be patient again !

PocketFrog

Northern Monkey
Always be courteous when drivers show you some respect. Give a wave of appreciation, or anything nice, and they just might show the same respect to other cyclists as well.

That's exactly my philosophy - I like to think that i've saved a future cyclist some grief by having a positive experience with a driver.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I hold my right arm out, palm backwards and have a good look at the traffic behind. I select a car which has plenty of time to slow and I target that car (there may be other cars still overtaking me at the time which I wouldnt expect to slow). If the car slows, I take primary. If they dont, I slowly move out but dont put myself in a position where I will get knocked off.

With pinch points and heavy traffic, you have to be very clear with your instructions and not afraid to put yourself infront of a car (but not one that cannot stop in time). You do have to take a risk with trusting other people to slow but you (and I would hope they) know that you both cannot fit through the pinch point.

I had a guy beep me last week because I took primary on the approach of a roundabout. I pointed at the roundabout and he pointed left. When he eventually passed me (when I deemed it safe) he shouted something like "driving license" to me. It was early morning so I dont know why he was so angry.
Part and parcel of cycling on the roads is dealing with numpties that do not understand how to drive. The car is often the width of the lane so it is pointless to teach drivers to position in the lane. However, training regarding motorcycles and bicycles would be a great attribute.

Scoop940

Quite a few pinch points around the New Forest now, scene of some of the closest calls I have had on a bike, they are there to reduce speed and make it safer apparently, only make it more dangerous for cyclists as far as I can tell.

OP
OP
ShipHill

ShipHill

Cheers for the replies folks.

I'm a polite enough guy off the bike so it seems natural to me to be polite on it and as previous posters have said, it may save future cyclists grief.

Thankfully I only go past these infernal refuges when I'm on a jolly, not my regular work or into town rides.

Top Bottom