Ping* Abitrary - Temporal dynamics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Would you like to discuss the temporal dynamics of the following?

If man achieves time travel, would they have travelled back to our recent past or the present to make absolutely sure that we do what we need to do now, for them to have sufficient resources in the future?

Or will they not have sufficient resources to "construct" a time-travelling vehicle? Perhaps someone has already travelled "back" to the present, and they were ignored or misunderstood? Or did they travel back to the present, but then realise that they had to go further back in time, or further into the future?

Would we know if we have been visited by people from the future, or would they keep us in ignorance, so that we did not alter the course of events?

It occured to me to add this to the "Aliens" thread, but decided it needed a thread of its own.

Abitrary

The truth about temporal dynamics in this instance is that there are none.

Time travel is impossible, or else we wouldn't have Doctor Who

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Abitrary said:
Time travel is impossible, or else we wouldn't have Doctor Who
That's what your great great great great great great grandfather said last week when i saw him at the Battle of Trafalgar. :tongue:

Abitrary

Fab Foodie said:
If time travel didn't exist, we'd have to invent it...

(but I can't help feeling that this quote was orginally about pineapples or religion or kangaroos or something)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Abitrary said:
(but I can't help feeling that this quote was orginally about pineapples or religion or kangaroos or something)

I went back and checked...originally it was applied to pineapples BUT was used in a miss-quote about religion.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
BTW, I've seen the future...it's called bed and it's calling me...

Pete

Time travel is possible.

All you need to do is construct a Tipler Cylinder. The physics all checks out, I assure you. A few snags (in summary, for those who can't be arsed to read through the Wiki article): it has to be infinitely long and infinitely massive, and rotate so rapidly that parts of it are moving at nearly the speed of light. And you can't go back in time further than when the cylinder was first built. I believe the causality paradox dilemma is overcome by bringing in multiple universes....

What are you lot sitting up for gaping at this time of night? Go and start constructing!

Top Bottom