*ping* allotment holders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

radger

Veteran
How realistic do you think it might be to run allotment which had 'no water supply at present'? The main bonus of this site is that it a) has vacant plots and :ohmy: is a practical distance from my new (touch wood) flat. I can probably construct [shed + gutters + rainbutt] but is this likely to be sufficient? I can't imagine carting water 2 miles on the bike will work in any realistic sense

Wobbly John

Veteran
Our allotments have no water supply.

Everybody has rainwater butts on their sheds/greenhouses.

You only really need to water young plants, or stuff in the greenhouse.

If possible get your self a 1000 litre tank like this for a rainwater butt.

You might want to look into low water gardening: mulches, ground covers, hardy plants. Don't know where you live but we've not had to do that much watering this year - in fact autumn seemed to come earlier for spuds, onions beans etc

postman

Legendary Member
Give it a try.You will get hours of enjoyment from it.Do buy a shed put gittering and take advice from the other holders.If it does not work out after a year so what.Is it overgrown at the moment ,clearing is the biggest problem when first starting i know i had one.Then arthritis cut me down.Ask the locals about vandalism and protecting your shed.You will find holders are a great bunch and willing to pass on advice Good luck

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I hardly ever water (not at all this year, but it's hardly typical). Last season was pretty hot and dry, a bit for the courgettes and tomatoes, very occasionally the tatties when it was dry for an extended period (like weeks, really. and i'm not convinced it was neccessary) everything else was OK without watering. Little plants might need a bit of water, deliver it close to them and you won't need much. There is water on our allotment, but for us it's four plots away, and I just fill a couple cans with it and walk it back in a wheelbarrow. Don't use much.

Wobbly John

Veteran
Elmer Fudd;44044][QUOTE=Wobbly John said:

Fek me ! I wouldn't want to tow a tonne plus down the road !!! :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
The tank was empty when I took it down there :ohmy:

However, this sack had 6 wheelbarrow-fulls of hoss-muck in - about 1/4 ton! :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Elmer Fudd;44044][QUOTE=Wobbly John said:

Fek me ! I wouldn't want to tow a tonne plus down the road !!! :ohmy:[/QUOTE]

I suspect the towing is done by the 4x4 in the background of the picture. :ohmy:

hairyhippy

Über Member
Location is more important, You need to be able to pop in easily to keep an eye on things, I would soon get sick of ours if it took me half an hour to get there.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Given the current summer, watering isn't a problem, of course next year might be a different matter... Ach just go for it whats the worst that can happen? Tatties onions and leeks should be fine without watering and dry weather keeps the slugs down.

sheddy

Legendary Member
I've just opened todays post to find that we have been offered an allotment,
(5x10m, with water supply (not sure yet if thats mains water or just a big tank under a roof to catch rainwater)

Suggestions please for next years fruit and veg, bear in mind that there are just 2 of us to feed...

Top Bottom