ping mac users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
that's ok... i'm still on OSX 10.2.8

red_tom

I believe it only affects users running bootcamp. It seems to be connected with the fact that bootcamp on Tiger was beta. When Leopard was released the beta expired. There's a big discussion on Apples site here

Carwash

Señor Member
While the attention of the Mac-using contingent is focussed on this thread, I'd just like to announce that my new 17" MBP arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to a happy weekend of playing with Leopard and migrating data.
That is all. :biggrin:

red_tom

Oooh lovely. I've got a 15" MBP running Leopard.

Don't forget

defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES ;killall Dock

to get rid of that ridiculous 3d dock.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
red_tom said:

Don't forget

Are you feeling OK? :biggrin:

Carwash

Señor Member
red_tom said:

Don't forget

Quite so!

I'm skipping a release here (my current PowerBook is running Panther) and I seem to recall when Tiger came out there was a similar useful command to get rid of that ridiculous Dashboard as well. (Spotlight I'll give the benefit of the doubt until I've used it... but I can't imagine it being a patch on Quicksilver.)

EDIT: Here's what I was after:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES

although I suppose if I never invoke the blasted thing it won't really make much of a difference.

I am left with the distinct impression that I have no idea what is going on here, and not even being the bum-fluffy age of 21, I have still been left behind by the irrepressable march of technology :biggrin:

davidwalton

See
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?email&NewsID=19812

Apple broke bad news to Boot Camp users on the Tiger OS yesterday, warning that the Boot Camp Beta software will expire on 31 December.
“With the introduction of Leopard, the Boot Camp Beta program has ended. The Boot Camp Beta software will expire on December 31, and Apple won’t offer further updates of Boot Camp Beta for Mac OS X Tiger,” Apple said in a note sent to users.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
running parallels desktop is better than bootcamp anyway.

i'm getting a new ipod on sunday and hoping it will work with the usb 1.1 instead of the 2.0 as specified. might do, as the nano (1st gen) i currently have worked fine even on an old wallstreet on 10.2.8 even though minimum spec said 10.3 and usb 2.0.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Which type of iPod is it? It should probably work with USB 1 as I thought USB1 dictated the speed rather than different formating. I never had problems plugging my shuffle into my old work computer which was USB 1

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
alecstilleyedye said:
running parallels desktop is better than bootcamp anyway.

i'm getting a new ipod on sunday and hoping it will work with the usb 1.1 instead of the 2.0 as specified. might do, as the nano (1st gen) i currently have worked fine even on an old wallstreet on 10.2.8 even though minimum spec said 10.3 and usb 2.0.
[Strokes chin slowly and says "Hmmm"] :biggrin:

i had to get an 'old' iPod as the new versions of iTunes wouldn't have worked on my old OS. i thought it was the iTunes software that caused probs with compatibility.

if i ever get a job and pay off my debts, i'll get a new Mac as my poor little notebook is full to bursting

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
SamNichols said:
Which type of iPod is it? It should probably work with USB 1 as I thought USB1 dictated the speed rather than different formating. I never had problems plugging my shuffle into my old work computer which was USB 1

it'll be the new ipod classic (80gb). if it doesn't work at home, it'll work with the work mac, and charge up in the inmotion m3 thingy.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

My guess is that it will be fine. It'll certainly be fine for charging on your laptop, although it may not be for the data transfer. I think that you need to have the most recent i-tunes though (7.5?): It even knows the colour of my shuffle (pink), which freaks me out a bit.

Top Bottom