PING: Rigid Raider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm visiting my friend in Horwich this weekend. We're going to help her with decorating prior to the arrival of junior in a few weeks time. The other half and I were looking to get a couple of short (1 - 2 hr) mtb rides in around Rivington as well. Do you know any good ones? We can GPS the route so navigation not a problem, just wondering if you had any recommendations. Thanks.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oooh, ahhhh... there's LOADS around the West Pennines, especially off road. The area has seen extensive industry over the years so it's well endowed with old tracks, tramways, and bridleways. My best advice would be to get the West Pennine Moors 1:25,000 OS map. I'm going to Nigeria for 2 weeks Sunday so if you give me an address I don't mind lending you my map, I can post it tomorrow.

The ultimate downhill is to be found at a place called White Coppice, long, technical and lots of fun. I could mark a circular route on the map taking this in. Some of it will be "cheeky" though. Wink wink.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes - big groups or ramblers with red socks and sticks!

The White Coppice DH starts on the top of Great Hill at SD 646190. Just ride due west from there. It's cheeky but the route is all on good tracks so fair game IMO. When you reach White Coppice the obvious goit is a useful way of working around the hill back to your starting point.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Kirsty, if you fancy it you'd be welcome to join Blackburn Bikers for their Sunday ride starting at the Royal Hotel in Tockholes at 10:00. More than likely they will do White Coppice. Should be around a 15-18 miler probably with a pub stop.

Thanks very much but we're going to be spending the weekend decorating so this will just be a short diversion to get out and ride for a bit. I found this route - what do you think of it? Is it worth cutting the corner just before the LH turn at Belmont?

LoweyRivi.JPG

Globalti

Legendary Member
No, that minor road is narrow and busy with motorbikes and chavvy cars. The route you have chosen is slower but nicer. Looks like you've found the best DH off the top of Winter Hill as well but watch out for water bars.

At the foot of that minor road opposite Belmont church is a pub that's worth a try - the Black Dog, which is Joseph Holts Brewery's most remote pub. The landlord is a classical music fan so it's nice and peaceful and they serve an outstanding pint of Holts Bitter.

Yes I know Belmont - used to go to the Black Dog at weekends (for underage drinking when I was at school, ha ha). I've done the descent off winter hill before so know about the water bars...but thanks for reminding me !

Top Bottom