Pinnacle Laterite 2 2018 Road Bike upgrades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Probably wheels and then groupset but,,,,,

TBH I'd save a bit more cash and put it towards a better bike ;if the current parts are ok just ride it for now and look for something next year,especially any reduced models although sales of 2018 bikes have already begun. Local Rutland store was basically full of sale stuff,can't see how they are actually making any money:whistle:.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would only consider brake pads to try and get the Tektros useable and then after a thousand miles or so some decent tyres. The rest is fine unless you want mudguards for winter.

Drago

Legendary Member
Wheels, tyres....anyrhing more is starts to put you towards new bike pride territory and is unlikely to bring noteworthy performance gains.

OP
OP
Andrew.R.Webb

Andrew.R.Webb

Regular
I am leaning towards wheels for now and then a new bike in the next 18 months. I am new to cycling and want to give this bike a fair few miles before it becomes my turbo bike.
Any suggestions on comparable wheels?

cm2mackem

Über Member
If you're leaning towards wheels, buy some that are 9/10/11 speed compatible, Mavic or the like, then when you get your new bike you already have a spare set of wheels that will fit both bikes.

OP
OP
Andrew.R.Webb

Andrew.R.Webb

Regular
Depends. What specifically is wrong with the current set-up that makes you think you need upgrades? What do you hope to achieve with those upgrades? How much are you prepared to spend?
There isn't anything specfically wrong at the moment. Managing to hit some good averages with the group I ride with. Looking to trim weight off where I can and build a stock of parts for either a new frame in future or spares.

OP
OP
Andrew.R.Webb

Andrew.R.Webb

Regular
If you're leaning towards wheels, buy some that are 9/10/11 speed compatible, Mavic or the like, then when you get your new bike you already have a spare set of wheels that will fit both bikes.
Thankyou. I will do some shopping and see how I get on. Didn't think I would get the cycling bug, but I seem to have been taken over by it this summer.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
There isn't anything specfically wrong at the moment. Managing to hit some good averages with the group I ride with. Looking to trim weight off where I can and build a stock of parts for either a new frame in future or spares.

Trimming off weight can get very expensive very quickly, so I'd suggest it's only worth going down that route if you're prepared to spend more than you spent on the whole bike in the first place. That especially goes for wheels. Plus as @cm2mackem says, you'd need to be mindful of future compatibility with whatever bike you buy next (assuming you're likely to step up from Sora 9-speed to either Tiagra 10-speed or 105/Ultegra 11-speed, and not forgetting the possibility that you might opt for disc brakes and through-axles on your next purchase).

Looking at the spec of the bike, the tyres would be worth upgrading - Luganos are crap, and you would definitely get a benefit from swapping them for something like Conti GP4000S or Vittoria Corsa.

There are other reasons to upgrade parts as well - swapping the handlebars, stem, saddle and seatpost can improve fit and comfort, which can in turn improve performance. Your performance might also benefit from paying for a full professional bike fit.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Budget for changes?

It’s a fairly basic spec, I’d probably upgrade the Sora to a 105 groupset including the brakes and better tyres, then wheels (Fulcrum, Campag or Mavic if going off the peg)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew.R.Webb

Andrew.R.Webb

Regular
Trimming off weight can get very expensive very quickly, so I'd suggest it's only worth going down that route if you're prepared to spend more than you spent on the whole bike in the first place. That especially goes for wheels. Plus as @cm2mackem says, you'd need to be mindful of future compatibility with whatever bike you buy next (assuming you're likely to step up from Sora 9-speed to either Tiagra 10-speed or 105/Ultegra 11-speed, and not forgetting the possibility that you might opt for disc brakes and through-axles on your next purchase).

Looking at the spec of the bike, the tyres would be worth upgrading - Luganos are crap, and you would definitely get a benefit from swapping them for something like Conti GP4000S or Vittoria Corsa.

There are other reasons to upgrade parts as well - swapping the handlebars, stem, saddle and seatpost can improve fit and comfort, which can in turn improve performance. Your performance might also benefit from paying for a full professional bike fit.

Thankyou!! All the advice is greatly appreciated and helping me improve on what I know and making decisions easier.
I will get on purchasing a set of Conti's as a starter for 10.
Future wise yes I will upgrade from the Sora as a definite, though not sure on disc brakes. May sound silly but I don't like the look of them (ready for critiscism with that comment).
Budget for changes?

It’s a fairly basic spec, I’d probably upgrade the Sora to a 105 groupset including the brakes and better tyres, then wheels (Fulcrum, Campag or Mavic if going off the peg)

Ummmm budget is about £300 or so. I tend to get carried away so could go higher than the bike cost but I see it as having bits for the future rather than over doing the cost of the bike from new.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thankyou!! All the advice is greatly appreciated and helping me improve on what I know and making decisions easier.
I will get on purchasing a set of Conti's as a starter for 10.
Future wise yes I will upgrade from the Sora as a definite, though not sure on disc brakes. May sound silly but I don't like the look of them (ready for critiscism with that comment).

Ummmm budget is about £300 or so. I tend to get carried away so could go higher than the bike cost but I see it as having bits for the future rather than over doing the cost of the bike from new.
Wheels and tyres then

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/fulcrum-racing-5-lg-road-wheelset-2018/rp-prod126868
https://www.merlincycles.com/contin...tyres-with-2-free-inner-tubes-pair-71989.html

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
ready for critiscism with that comment

There's no right or wrong answer with disc brakes. Some people love them, some hate them. It's a personal choice thing and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Although manufacturers are to some extent removing the element of choice with more and more road bikes coming with disc brakes as standard.

broady

Veteran
I've got the Pinnacle Laterite 1 that I use as a commuting bike.
I wouldn't look at spending much on improving the bike (possibly wheels as they are easy to move to your next bike), but continue to save up for and look at buying a bargain bike over the winter months.
Then you've got the
Pinnacle Laterite as a winter bike (or turbo if you don't fancy going out).

Top Bottom