Pinnacle Lithium 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had an earlier model and only sold it because I managed to buy the wrong size.

Excellent bike for the money.

The frame is also an ideal blank canvas, having more bosses than you could shake several sticks it and plenty of tyre clearance.

Sensible gearing, there's a lot to be said for the now unfashionable mountain triple.

You could ride the bike as is, or take it in several directions - commuter, tourer, even MTB.

A high tensile fork is reckoned to be inferior to a cromoly one, but I wonder if most riders would notice any difference.

The Octalink bottom bracket is unusual, but is screw in and should be reliable.

It's not a particularly light bike, but neither will other £500 bikes.

Overall, I reckon it's a very good choice.

OP
OP
S

srj10

Guru
Thanks,agree with the gearing,the new 1&2xratios don't seem suitable for my use.Main concern is the fork and whether or not I will miss suspension ,I plan to fit 1.75 or 2inch tyres and hope this will make the ride less harsh.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks,agree with the gearing,the new 1&2xratios don't seem suitable for my use.Main concern is the fork and whether or not I will miss suspension ,I plan to fit 1.75 or 2inch tyres and hope this will make the ride less harsh.

Podgy tyres at sensible pressure will do the job admirably.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
On paper looks like a great bike and good value.
The steel fork is actually a plus as you'll be able to mount a mudguard without problems. The only downside might be the Octalink chainset.
Might be worth a look a Decathlon's bikes who offer excellent VfM bikes.

OP
OP
S

srj10

Guru
On paper looks like a great bike and good value.
The steel fork is actually a plus as you'll be able to mount a mudguard without problems. The only downside might be the Octalink chainset.
Might be worth a look a Decathlon's bikes who offer excellent VfM bikes.
Decathlon hybrids are mostly equipped with suspension forks which I don't think I require,what problems might I encounter with the octalink chainset?

OP
OP
S

srj10

Guru
Or look at the reduced Cannondale Quick models at Rutland cycling?
Nice bikes but don't think the gearing suits my needs

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Those Pinnacles look like good all-round utility bikes, and they have very similar geometry to my early 90's Raleigh MTB, which is very stable on poor surfaces.
The only thing I don't like about them is the width of the handlebars, and if I was going to ride one of those in traffic I would be looking to chop them down by at least a couple of inches as they are silly wide as they come.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Those Pinnacles look like good all-round utility bikes, and they have very similar geometry to my early 90's Raleigh MTB, which is very stable on poor surfaces.
The only thing I don't like about them is the width of the handlebars, and if I was going to ride one of those in traffic I would be looking to chop them down by at least a couple of inches as they are silly wide as they come.

Funny you should say that, I chopped the bars on the one I had.

what problems might I encounter with the octalink chainset?

None of which I'm aware.

Some weight weenies reckon it's heavy, but a few grammes won't make much difference to a 12kg bike.

Looks like spare Octalink bottom brackets can be had for £15 or less.

If you were organised, you could buy a spare to protect yourself in the event Shimano stop making them.

Octalink chainsets are about thirty quid, but I reckon you will wear the bottom bracket faster.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-es300-octalink-bottom-bracket/

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-fc-m4000-alivio-octalink-chainset/rp-prod162762

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Decathlon hybrids are mostly equipped with suspension forks which I don't think I require,what problems might I encounter with the octalink chainset?
I believe there have been problems with the cranks loosening which were somewhat better on the Octalink 2. They have all been discontinued by Shimano now.

OP
OP
S

srj10

Guru
Get it bought. It's the bike most people need most of the time.
Took your advice! Having tested a few bikes, suspension rigid 1x 2x kept returning to this set up.Bike performed as expected when tested and was probably lighter and more nimble than I thought. Have the option to exchange within 30 days if I change my mind.The octalink system is a bit of a worry as looking around the web there does not seem to be any replacement cranksets at 170mm.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Plenty of 172.5mm on fleabay and elsewhere.

Does 2.5mm make any practical difference in this application?

Top Bottom