Pinnacle or Specialized?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickysolar

I am a lady beginner and looking to purchase a hybrid type, some road work, some tracks/grass, so looking at the MB end of hybrid. Budget £650.
Having narrowed my choices to a Specialized crosstail hybrid (mens or womens) or similar from Pinnacle range, I went to Evans to try them out. Silly me didn't phone ahead and they didn't have the specialzed to try and the only mens was an XL. So the salesperson got me to try out a Pinnacle Cobalt 3 2018 womens. But with nothing else suitable (I asked) to compare I've come home none the wiser and somewhat confused as he also suggested trying the womens specialized cirrus disc that he could order in (I did say I was happy to try out a mens but he advised against that in favour of womens only. He said the pinnacle range was better value for money - better spec for less money.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I doubt you will ride very much on grass, it will be very hard work unless it's cut shorter than the Centre Court at Wimbledon.

Tracks are usually cinder or gravel for which any tyre with a shallow tread will do.

The Evans own brand Pinnacle bikes do tend to have good components for the price, although it's doubtful you would notice much difference in the riding experience compared to a Specialized.

Trying a few bikes is a good idea, but you won't really know how suitable a bike is until you've done a few miles and lived with the bike for a while.

There's always an element of getting used to what you buy, so all you can do is pick the one you like best from the test rides.

rivers

How far can I go?
I have a specialized, my wife has a pinnacle. In terms of components, they are equal. Both are shimano claris with tektro brakes and a sun-race cassette. Had we paid full price for either bike, the pinnacle neon would have been better value for money as it's nearly £150 cheaper than my specialized dolce. But both are solid bikes. So buy whichever one you like the ride of best

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Specialized and Pinnacle will be similar, but Specialized is likely to have a bit higher resale value.

Evans will make more profit from their own brand Pinnacle though, which is why they'd recommend them. However as others have pointed out you should get a slightly higher spec for your money.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why did you decide on Specialized specifically?

The Giant Liv women’s range is very good too

How tall are you? What are you like torso versus leg length?

OP
OP
N

nickysolar

Why did you decide on Specialized specifically?

The Giant Liv women’s range is very good too

How tall are you? What are you like torso versus leg length?
I had a ride on a friends specialized and really liked it. But I was comparing to an old raleigh shopper with 3 gears at the time!
I am 5"5, short legs, long torso. They had to cut off an inch of the saddle post on the bike I tried in the shop.

OP
OP
N

nickysolar

The Sirrus, would be o.k on like a canal towpath or a dirt track, not really on grass for a long way. It would go across a field or a park but the tyres are slick. Its not really for off roading.It will cope unless its really muddy and uneven.
What I do if I was you is try all the bikes, I ride mens bikes at the moment and I think you have to try both and compare which one you like the best. Try a mens crosstrail and a womans in your size and the same in the Pinnacle cobalt. You will have to order them in and I think you can now only order 1 at at time. You used to be able to order 2.
Specialized bikes do tend to be a bit overpriced but the frames are very good in my opinion.Its the frame you pay for with them,not the components. With the Pinnacle the components for the same price point will be higher.Its for you to choose which you prefer.
The Pinnacle Lithium would do what you want, I'd take a look at that as well.

Thats what I thought regarding the Sirrus, but doubted myself and was why I posted on here, for clarification.
Thank you for your input

Nibor

Bewildered
Long body and short legs would suggest a mans geometry may be more suitable but as others have said nothing beats a test ride

OP
OP
N

nickysolar

In the end I went with the Cobalt 3. It is still possible to try two bikes at a time. I went to two different stores so tried 4 bikes in total.
Decided on the cobalt for the ride and the spec - as a novice I don't yet appreciate all the gadgetry, but I will later and be glad I went for value over brand.
Thanks all

Top Bottom