Pinnacle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
This thread motivated me to have a look at the Evans site - it would definitely appear the Pinnacle range is not what it was 3 or 4 years ago. The Arkose range when my partner got hers, was fairly broad with a good choice of different specs plus womens' specific models - it's now just one low-spec gravel-ish bike.

My inner cynic says that's the Ashley influence, and on reflection there will be better places to spend your money these days.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My inner cynic says that's the Ashley influence
I think that's how most of us feel about Evans now.

Good morning,

I have been playing around a lot recently using only 1 chainring and a 8 speed cassette, over the last few months mostly 50x11-32 so I get the appeal of 1x7. But the thing that would worry me about a genuine 1x7 is that it is bottom of the range and only ever seems to be paired up with other components to hit a very low price point.

So are the compromises needed to meet the price point ones that you will be able to live with? if the Pinnacle is aimed at very low mileage and looking at the gear ratios, 36x14,16,18,20,22,24,32 it does seem to be, will you end up with big replacement bills very quickly as you are doing lots of miles and aren't the intended customer?

For example this particular bike has a freewheel which will probably have an impact on availability of higher spec wheels if you need a replacement wheel, I moved away from 7 speed cassettes quite a few years ago not because I needed or wanted 8 speed but because 7 speed had become the preserve of cheap wide range cassettes and I wanted a narrower range.

What about the saddle, another easy area to save money? Is Revoshift for you or will you end up hating it and replace it? After all you're not coming at this looking for a first bike, but remembering what your previous bikes were like.

There is also the problem that the link takes you to a page that says .. all riders and for 2018 we’re offering ... so you might end up with something slightly different.

Having recently bought a compactish framed bike I was surprised to find that a spare rack I had wouldn't fit as its legs were too long, so if you have a rack and panniers lying around that you intend to use, they might not fit.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Thanks for an informative post Ian, but;

I am an ex cyclist, full stop. I won't be doing anything more than casual nice weather riding so I don't envisage early replacement of parts that are serviceable and I will not be upgrading. All I want is something I can hop on in street gear when I feel like a ride and if I ever travel more than ten miles at a time it will be because I have got lost.

In my "Cyclist" days I would not have looked at such a bike, just as when I was a keen long distance motorcyclist I would not have considered the Chinese 125 I ride now and am content with.

Just think of it as an old codger who doesn't want to completely let go of his past :sad:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Shock horror large business is slightly dodgy. Find me one which isn't.

I have my personal red lines that I won't cross, and putting money directly into Ashley's pocket is one of them. it's almost as bad as asking me to vote "Remain". :laugh:

battered

Guru
Good morning,

I have been playing around a lot recently using only 1 chainring and a 8 speed cassette, over the last few months mostly 50x11-32 so I get the appeal of 1x7. But the thing that would worry me about a genuine 1x7 is that it is bottom of the range and only ever seems to be paired up with other components to hit a very low price point.

So are the compromises needed to meet the price point ones that you will be able to live with? if the Pinnacle is aimed at very low mileage and looking at the gear ratios, 36x14,16,18,20,22,24,32 it does seem to be, will you end up with big replacement bills very quickly as you are doing lots of miles and aren't the intended customer?

For example this particular bike has a freewheel which will probably have an impact on availability of higher spec wheels if you need a replacement wheel, I moved away from 7 speed cassettes quite a few years ago not because I needed or wanted 8 speed but because 7 speed had become the preserve of cheap wide range cassettes and I wanted a narrower range.

What about the saddle, another easy area to save money? Is Revoshift for you or will you end up hating it and replace it? After all you're not coming at this looking for a first bike, but remembering what your previous bikes were like.

There is also the problem that the link takes you to a page that says .. all riders and for 2018 we’re offering ... so you might end up with something slightly different.

Having recently bought a compactish framed bike I was surprised to find that a spare rack I had wouldn't fit as its legs were too long, so if you have a rack and panniers lying around that you intend to use, they might not fit.

Bye

Ian
Every bike is a compromise unless you buy the top of the shop. My road bike came with cheap wheels. They were OK until I wrecked them both in a crash, at which point I got something better. I recently bought a used road bike, it has cheap shifters that make gear changes difficult and noisy, and it needs constant trimming. But it was cheap. Kona used to put tasty derailleurs on their MTBs and then crap out on headset bearings and BBs. So it goes on.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've quit on the Pinnacle. Not that I don't like the bike, but Evans website is stacked with all types of machines and none of them are marked "Out of stock", which makes me a little suspicious and stirs a memory of people who ordered from Evans not receiving the goods because they didn't have them. ISTR complaints of taking ages to get a refund too and I can't be bothered with all that.

Looking at a Carerra Vengence MTB at the moment, Halfords have them in stock and I think one might suit.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you like the 1x flat bar option, see if you can get a second hand Whyte R7 fast flat bar (unless you do want an off roader / mountain bike).

The Pinnacle is showing as in stock in size L? (many bikes are showing as in stock but only limited sizes)

simongt

Guru
The GLW has a Pinnacle Aura 1.0 with which she is well pleased. ^_^ She bought it a few years back to replace the GT Tempest that had been stolen. :cursing:

Top Bottom