Pissing Mobile Phones!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Mobile phone numbers are quite long, and as I rarely give my number out I can never remember my number. No problem you would think, how hard can it be to find your own number on your own phone?

F****** impossible as it happens! Now I know that it's in there, it has to be, and that some mystery code will reveal it, but why the heck can't they just stick it in a menu or something so that it's easy to see? Why doers it take some code which cannot be worked out or found by logical reasoning or searching? I'm sitting here unable to find my own phone number on my own phone no mater how hard I look!

These nerdy ba****** who make these things need a good slap!

gavintc

Guru
Mr Pig said:
Mobile phone numbers are quite long, and as I rarely give my number out I can never remember my number. No problem you would think, how hard can it be to find your own number on your own phone?

F****** impossible as it happens! Now I know that it's in there, it has to be, and that some mystery code will reveal it, but why the heck can't they just stick it in a menu or something so that it's easy to see? Why doers it take some code which cannot be worked out or found by logical reasoning or searching? I'm sitting here unable to find my own phone number on my own phone no mater how hard I look!

These nerdy ba****** who make these things need a good slap!

A quick call to another mobile phone or even a landline (and use 1471) will reveal all.

yello

Mr Pig said:
I rarely give my number out I can never remember my number.

Same here... and also unable to find where it is in all of the menus etc.

I gave up trying to remember and now have it as a 'Note' that's always displays on phone's screen. Like the wallpaper or whatever daft name it has.

Night Train

Maker of Things
mr Mag00 said:
i have it in the phonebook on the phone as 'me'
I do the same except that I use me, not you.:tongue:
However, I can remember my number and my phone is toilet trained.

On my Sony Ericsson C902 I just have to press the button that control volume/zoom and it displays all the phone information for:
Model
Phone number
Phone memory
Memory card
Battery
Alarms

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't like mobile phones but I do have a very cheap 'n cheerful Sagem My-X2 which I carry on long rides. (The rest of the time its only function is as my alarm clock!)

I've searched everywhere and I can't find a way of adding a number to its phonebook when someone calls me for the first time. I have to write their number down, then type it in on a different page.

There surely must be a way to 'Add this number to phonebook' but I can't find it! :tongue:

Night Train

Maker of Things
ColinJ said:
I've searched everywhere and I can't find a way of adding a number to its phonebook when someone calls me for the first time. I have to write their number down, then type it in on a different page.

There surely must be a way to 'Add this number to phonebook' but I can't find it! :tongue:
Have a look in your call register, the place where you see a list of your calls in and out. Scroll down to the number you want and highlight it you may get a menu with options to 'save number' or 'use number'.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Night Train said:
Have a look in your call register, the place where you see a list of your calls in and out. Scroll down to the number you want and highlight it you may get a menu with options to 'save number' or 'use number'.
Huh, that works! What on Earth was I doing before? I could have sworn that I'd tried doing that - thanks... ;)

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

gavintc said:
A quick call to another mobile phone or even a landline, and use 1471, will reveal all.

Well yes. Or I could ask someone else what my number is or...

Don't you get it? It's not that it's impossible to find the number it's that it is a lot harder and less intuitive than it should be.

For sixty-years your telephone had a little card on the front with your telephone number written on it. Logical and obvious. Now, thanks to 'progress' you need a black belt in sudoku to figure out how to find it!

I do blame the nerds. It's just like the classic situation with video recorders when they first came out. The things could record TV shows months away, but none of them ever did because the twats who designed them gave zero thought to usability. Most were covered in rows of tiny buttons which looked identical and had to be pressed in some complex secret order before the machine would comply with your wishes. Although one could never be one-hundred percent sure it actually would, so most people gave up and just got someone else to press the red button at the correct time in their absence.

And nothing has changed. Have you seen the idiot menus in many modern cars? If I wanted to change which vents the air was coming out of I used to grab a knob and turn it to the correct position, which I could do without even looking at it. Now I have to press a button numerous times whilst peering at a tiny LCD display as it scrolls through a menu until I get to the vents I want.

Sure, let the nerds invent stuff. They seem good at it, but please get a normal human being in to do the bit we interact with.

gavintc

Guru
It depends if you are deemed part of the target customer base or not. If you have used a phone for the last 60+ years, I hazard to propose that you are not and are unlikely to want to upgrade your phone to the latest functions, preferring to keep your old phone till it dies.

With regard to old fashioned number in a little plastic window - many people stick their number under a bit of sellotape on the back of their mobile.

Top Bottom