Placenames Revisited.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Phoebus

Haseley Knob, Warwickshire.

Shaftmoor Lane, Brum.

I see someone's already had the Lickey End, Worcs. :blush:

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Hang on a minute Kirstie. I could be mixing you up with someone else, but didn't you have a moan about smuttiness?

It seems to me that you must have a PhD in Carry On Studies and I bet you've got a framed picture of Frankie Howerd on your desk.

No I didn't have a moan about smuttiness. That was Kathryn.

I posted the thread 'smut, filth and innuendo' the other day to encourage people to discuss what appears to be a popular topic around here :blush:

I just have a very peurile sense of humour, and incidentally, dr_smut is a personal showbiz friend of mine. He used to post on C+ occasionally but doesn't appear to have got here yet. Now HE is the one with the PhD in Carry On Studies and a picture of Frankie Howerd on his desk...

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
In the borough of Barnet there is a council estate that goes by the name of The Clitterhouse Estate. Try saying that after a few drinks.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Kirstie said:

:rolleyes: Thanks, Kirstie, perfect! :blush:

If you want a good laugh, in a similar vein, I recommend "The Meaning Of Liff" (sic.) by the late great Douglas Adams and John Lloyd.

For those who don't know about the book it's a like a dictionary, with places given definitions. e.g.

Esher - One of those push down taps installed in public washrooms enabling the user to wash their trousers without actually getting into the basin. The most powerful esher of recent years was "damped down" by Red Adair after an incredible sixty eight day fight in Manchester Piccadily Station.

Whaplode Drove - A homicidal golf stroke.

Clenchwarton - one who assists an exorcist by squeezing whatever part of the possessed the exorcist deems useful.

Etc. Etc. :blush:

graham56

Guru
Beaver Green in Kent, pleased i didn`t make a typing error with that one :blush:
Oh and Cockplay. about 15 miles from Newcastle

I share a lot of amusing placenames with Pandaboy (we must live near each other), but also close to Monmouth are:

Lord Hereford's Knob
Three Cocks
Penishapentre
Snatch House

As for the Meaning of Liff ... Ardslignish is descriptive of the behaviour of Sellotape when you are tired, an Affpuddle is a puddle hidden under a loose paving slab, enabling water to shoot up the leg of your trousers when you step on the slab and a Huby is a semi erection which is too small to be of any use but large enough to create a publicly embarrassing bulge in your trousers. The man was a genius.

Top Bottom