Plan B: Help me choose a frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
My original plan was to build myself a fixed gear from an old racer and new parts.
After buying an old Peugeot bike, I stripped it down and started looking for new parts.
Turns out that my one has now obsolete specs, 24mm seatpost? French BB threads?

The frame is actually a bit small and when I took the wheels off I found a lot of grey paint around the bottom bracket/chainstay area. I'm a bit scared of what it might be hiding.

So onto plan B. I've decided I want to get a new frame (or very good condition old frame), but I want this to be an all round workhorse of a bike, so it needs to have rack and fender mounts (I think fender only mounts would work for both).

I'm trying to decide what I should go for.

On-one Pompino - limited stock in XL left, only brown which I'm not a big fan of, but the price is very good, and the drop out width is 120mm so easy to get wheels to fit.
IRO Phoenix - Similar to the Pompino but not sure what the quality's like. Only sold through Cavendish cycles in the UK, so I'll need to go and take a look.
Cotic Roadrat - Good but getting more expensive.
Surly Cross Check - Still more expensive, but get some very good reviews, 132mm drop outs limits the choice of rear wheels (I think).
Specialized Tricross Singlecross - One I found out about today, but can't seem to find these anywhere.

:biggrin:
So I've once again confused myself (easily done) and I really want a new bike. I could wait until my cycle scheme is ready again but then I would need to wait until July.

Or can anyone recommend an alternative frame or bike? ( I prefer frame option so I can build it up myself and spread the cost)

Tricross is obsolete Luke - as in Spesh do not make them any mo'. :smile:

If you want to take a 'punt' then go for one of these:

00012408.jpg

Work your way up! This bike was 249 at Easter I think - I was tempted but sense got the better of me - I need to ride 'em, not buy 'em!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Evans will have Genesis Flyer Reynolds 520 ss/fixie road framesets for around £280 any day now. I stared and stared and stared and thought and thought and thought then went on the EBC web site and bought the bike Aperitif pointed out!

The crosscheck will take 130mm and 135mm hubs btw (but not 120mm track hubs that is true) which, if anything, broadens your options iirc....

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
That one doesn't have mounting points for rack and guards.

If I just want track hubs i.e. fixed/single then there are a lot more options in 120mm. If I was planning on adding gears or hub gears then 130mm would be better, but this bike would be fixed and nothing else.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
redjedi said:
If I was planning on adding gears or hub gears then 130mm would be better.

Go and wash your mouth out Luke, adding gears ffs !!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

If you want gears go and ride your chain saw :smile:

+1 on the Genesis Flyer. they do look nice

If you want mudgards / rack then the Pearson Touche would get my vote

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sturmey Archer 3 speed Fixed hub S3X; 120mm or 130mm

How many gears do you need? (I need a minimum of n+1)

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
All this talk of gears. This one will have one (maybe 2 if you count a different size on the flip side). I already have a lovely geared bike.

Aperitif said:
Go for it Luke - you can sod about with adding bits and bobs or get another frame later.£££ saved! Get a rucksack! You'll want a Thorn for a hub gear bike as you'll be old and stately by then...

I have ruck sacks, but I want a rack with with panniers so I can go and do my shopping with it.

Walk you wuss!
Panniers - pah!

You'll fill your panniers with panini, penne, panetonne, pannacotta, parmesan and peas. It's only when the penne drops you'll realise that 'home delivery' is for the best.

Tony's suggestion is cool - at least you could go for a trip to the greengrocers with pears on. :biggrin:

C'mon Luke - just get one! :biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Aperitif said:
Walk you wuss!
Panniers - pah!

You'll fill your panniers with panini, penne, panetonne, pannacotta, parmesan and peas. It's only when the penne drops you'll realise that 'home delivery' is for the best.

Tony's suggestion is cool - at least you could go for a trip to the greengrocers with pears on. :biggrin:

Is he off the profiteroles and parma ham then? No pease pudding either? No room for a pumpkin pie or a pepperoni? Poor pauper.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Aperitif said:
Walk you wuss!
Panniers - pah!

:biggrin:

I'm yet to see a down side to this.

I'm not a fan of Home delivery. Just the idea of some stranger handling my plums :biggrin:

Radius

SHREDDER
IROs are good frames, fair few used for polo as well...Surly Crosscheck is tough as anything, and the On-Ones always seem to get good press...if you want tough commuter I'd go for the Surly myself...

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
I can now add a Pearson Hanzo to the list.

prod_4690.jpg

Steel frame and with cantilever brakes, which I prefer the look of. Complete bike is £549.
I may have to take a trip down and give the Touche and this a test ride. Might have a bit of extra cash at the end of the month ;)

Top Bottom