Plane on a treadmill! 9pm, Discovery Channel!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't wish to make myself unpopular, but could someone explain, without getting bogged down in too much detail, what the big deal is with the aeroplane and the treadmill? And the ducks, while we're at it. I remember it being on C+ but I never read the thread.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Rhythm Thief said:
I don't wish to make myself unpopular, but could someone explain, without getting bogged down in too much detail, what the big deal is with the aeroplane and the treadmill? And the ducks, while we're at it. I remember it being on C+ but I never read the thread.

Wasnt it something to do with Bonj thinking it could?
sorry if i was wrong

Edit, opps just read up above right this time. :biggrin:
I asked a friend today with a btec in avionics and he said no, uless you turned it around the other way and it was fast enough to get the plane moving. But it might be good to get it to stop in a short space. :biggrin:

radger

Veteran
nooo

i don't get discovery channel any more

:sad:

RT - there was great debate on C+ about what a plane would do if the runway were a treadmill - would it take off or not? i cannot recall the conclusion - I think there wasn't one
As for the ducks, I assume it was the how many ducks riddle - variations on There are 2 ducks in front of 2 other ducks. There are 2 ducks behind 2 other ducks. There are 2 ducks beside 2 other ducks. How many ducks are there? I missed this though, so I may be talking through my neck

jonesy

Guru
radger said:
nooo

i don't get discovery channel any more

:smile:

RT - there was great debate on C+ about what a plane would do if the runway were a treadmill - would it take off or not? i cannot recall the conclusion - I think there wasn't one....

The conclusion was that quite a few people need to re-learn their Newtonian mechanics! :sad:

Night Train

Maker of Things
That's a pointless myth buster. It is obvious to anyone who has done O'level physics that if the treadmill was rolling at the same speed as the plane that:
a) the plane would take off
:sad: the jet engines would rip the treadmill material to bits behind the plane. That is why big planes can't run their engines at full power while stationary for long as it would peel the tarmac off the runway behind the jets.

ETA ahh tread mill going in the other direction. Plane would still take off but would fail to land safely due to wheel bearings being damaged through over speeding.

Top Bottom