Plane on a treadmill! 9pm, Discovery Channel!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
papercorn2000 said:
The trajectory of the smoke particles would be slightly different to if there were no wind speed, they do after all have a forward momentum. However, as the smoke particles are so light, in practice, it would be very difficult to notice any difference.

However, if the wind was blowing from behind the train, that would be a different kettle of fish. To an observer travelling at the same velocity as the train, the smoke would appear to stay largely stationary relative to the train.
There, hat thrown into ring!
If your hat was thrown into the ring while you were on a treadmill with 2 ducks behind a hat and 2 ducks in front of a hat and there was a strong headwind blowing... would anybody care?

Tetedelacourse

Someone in Bangkok would.

papercorn2000

Fab Foodie said:
If your hat was thrown into the ring while you were on a treadmill with 2 ducks behind a hat and 2 ducks in front of a hat and there was a strong headwind blowing... would anybody care?

They would get to laugh at me falling off...;)

I think you've got it backwards. If a steam train was travelling at 120mph and the wind was 120mph in the same direction then there's a fair argument that the steam would look like it was rising vertically above the train.

It was meant as a jest!

Express trains (today) are electric, so obviously no smoke, or steam!
But you didn't suss it! :ohmy:

I think you've got it backwards. If a steam train was travelling at 120mph and the wind was 120mph in the same direction then there's a fair argument that the steam would look like it was rising vertically above the train.

Plus you read it all wrong!

Originally Posted by Dayvo
An express train is travelling along at 120 mph into a strong head wind, which is blowing at the same speed! Which way is the smoke blowing?
Let's see Adam and Jamie sort that one out!

Are you bonj??

I know the wind wasn't with the train. Which is why I said you'd got it backwards.

As you described it there's no puzzle, which is why you said you'd posted it. Unfortunately it's too similar (backwards) to a real puzzle.

How did you get Dayvo's password, Bonjwold?

:ohmy::biggrin:

Fair dos! ;)

I interpreted 'backwards' as the 'wrong way round', which isn't what I meant! However, I do now understand your reasoning! ;)

Top Bottom