Planet detected in another galaxy - wow !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Its a bit like the Titanic, we all knew it was out there somewhere...but it blew everyone away when they actually found it.

There will be trillions if planets if course....it blows my mind trying to comprehend it all (the erernity of space and all within), which of course, you can't.
I was equally blown away when i found you could see several moons round Jupiter with a simple bird scope.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The discovery of the first exoplanet still feels relatively recent to me, so finding one in another galaxy feels like a pretty rapid follow-up. Great work though, truly stunning.

I wonder if we have ever been spotted from another planet or galaxy? I’ll likely never know.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The time scales and distances are so vast that it makes the chances of finding other life very small.
Our planet has been emitting man made radio waves for just over 100 years, that’s a tiny window when you are working with such vast areas of time and space.
Does anyone seriously believe humans will be alive in 28million years?

If we are here in 28 million years, we won't look like us... We'll probably more resemble the Crypt Keeper from Tales From The Crypt.

28 million years ago human ancestors were small monkeys. In 28 million years we could be giant brains or we could be an evolutionary dead end that puzzles cockroach academics.

Milzy

Guru
I know how the galaxies formed with the gasses clumping onto dark matter & the gravity pulling in more gasses & the weight/friction causing a nuclear like explosion etc. The question is who put the gasses there & did the void get put there at the same time?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I know how the galaxies formed with the gasses clumping onto dark matter & the gravity pulling in more gasses & the weight/friction causing a nuclear like explosion etc. The question is who put the gasses there & did the void get put there at the same time?
All the answers are in the final episode of Prof Brian Cox's Universe series :okay:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Even if we could detect signs of aliens, it would be from thousands of years ago so they may be extinct by now. Same with all the radio transmissions we send out, by the time another civilization detects them, we will long be gone so on that basis, we are very unlikely to ever meet aliens.
The size of the universe is so huge that even the speed of light is slow for a human life span by comparison.
We can only hope to physically explore planets in our own solar system.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

What do you mean by who (put the gases there)?

The Big Bang event occured and at that point all matter was created.

Re the void (space I presume?) Space was created at the same time. Before the Big Bang there was no space.

Milzy

Guru
What do you mean by who (put the gases there)?

The Big Bang event occured and at that point all matter was created.

Re the void (space I presume?) Space was created at the same time. Before the Big Bang there was no space.
You don’t just get a Big Bang from nothing. The space was empty of stars for millions of years. Only dark matter & gas present. The burning of the stars much later created the minerals.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
You don’t just get a Big Bang from nothing. The space was empty of stars for millions of years. Only dark matter & gas present. The burning of the stars much later created the minerals.

No, I don't think that you are correct.

Pre-Big Bang there was nothing. Matter and space was formed at the same time in an incredibly small instant.

It's counter-intuitive for sure. 👍

Top Bottom