Planet X AL30 rear wheel breaking spokes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SS Retro

My single speed planet x rear wheel (32 spoke) has snapped 2 spokes, they have both been within the last month, the spokes have failed when standing on the pedals working up a hill but not going all out with speed or force, is this normal?

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I haven't had a problem with mine which are the cassette version. I have broken spokes when my chain got caught inbetween the cassette and the wheel due to a bust plate on the chain but the LBS replaced them and I haven't had any ongoing issues, 5000 plus miles in.

OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

I'd replace them (myself) and see how it goes...

Ah bit late for that the wheel is in the LBS who have an excellent wheel builder, who remembered it had a spoke in December. He said at first could be down to poor quality spokes. I can fettle everything on my bikes but have always shied away from spokes and truing maybe I should learn!

OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

Well the it gets worse whilst in the LBS the wheel builder who's a class guy with a good reputation broke another spoke truing it he says it could really do with a full rebuild. So I have emailed Planet X for a solution.

Martin p

Had my Planet X AL30 C's for around 6 mths as recommend on this here forum, no probs so far although not racked up that many miles . Lovely wheel :-)

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
a rebuild with good quality spokes by a good wheel builder would pretty much guarantee a spoke breakage free ride - in fact the hubs will probably go first. Mind you it was the hubs that went first on my model As - after about 10,000Km in all weathers though...

OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

Well a week has past and the wheels are on there way back to me, the following is an extract from Planet x's email.

I have inspected your wheels and had our service technician double check them for true and spoke tension using a tension meter.
The recommended tension is between 80-130 kgf and your wheels are between 97 and 101kgf.

They are true to well within industry standard.

I will be despatching them back out to you within the next 24hrs

This is a quote from my reply.

Thanks for the update.
This doesn't explain the 3 broken spokes so far that I have had to have replaced at my own expense, what happens when they break another?

I find it strange my other road bike has far less spokes in both its wheels and I have never broke one, the same could also be said of my fixie that has 32/32 same as the AL30's. Only once in the last 25 years have I broke a spoke and that was a set of campag rims back in the 90's?

I am not really satisfied with the outcome yes the may meet industry standard for tension but to break three spokes in such a short space of time there must be something fundamentally wrong with the wheel, or spoke quality?

Anyway I have received a standard order dispatch email today for the wheels coming back, no reply to the above. :angry:

I use Planet X once a month might only be £20, but some times its a lot more and right now I feel deeply unsatisfied by the service I have received I might as well have not bothered? :cursing:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
see how i goes if another one brakes, have a go replacing it yourself, or consider a rebuild with good quality stainless steel spokes - normally around £30 plus the cost of the spokes.

OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

:smile: Well my wheels arrived back yesterday couldn't be bothered to unpack them, still felt let down.

So I emailed the CEO of Planet X, One One and Titius with a brief mail and a copy of my e trail over the last 2 weeks, fair play within 10 mins he had mailed me back saying he would personally sort this out, today I got confirmation of a new wheel set is on it's way to me.:smile::becool:

Bit long and drawn out but my faith has been restored in Planet X. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom