Planet X AL30 Wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amaferanga

Veteran
Yes. They're a 30mm rim where as the Model B's are a 27mm rim, but they are the replacement. If your Model B hubs are good (new bearings don't cost much) then you can get new rims for the Model B's - they're Kinlin xr270 available from Bikehubstore. I've bought rims and hubs from Bikehubstore - the owner is very knowledgeable and very helpful.

edindave

Über Member
I had valve stem length issues with my AL30s.
None of my standard Conti tubes (40mm/42mm?) would work with my (Bikehut) track pump. Just couldn't get any purchase. It may be the track pump is a factor but there wasn't a lot of clearance for it - 10mm if you're lucky. I ended up having to buy a few tubes with 60mm valves.
Just thought I'd mention it, but aside from that the wheels seem good to me. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I had valve stem length issues with my AL30s.
None of my standard Conti tubes (40mm/42mm?) would work with my (Bikehut) track pump. Just couldn't get any purchase. It may be the track pump is a factor but there wasn't a lot of clearance for it - 10mm if you're lucky. I ended up having to buy a few tubes with 60mm valves.
Just thought I'd mention it, but aside from that the wheels seem good to me. :thumbsup:
That's interesting. I had an 8mile or so walk home in dark when I got my first p'ture with the 27mm Model B's and the spare was a mm too short, despite me not using lock nuts or what ever they are called :shy:
How have you found the rear bearings?

edindave

Über Member
I don't think those valve nut things would make much difference if there isn't enough protrusion. They might even reduce the amount of valve available.
No issues with the bearings here, the Macinato is a smooth, quiet runner in general.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
42mm presta tubes won't work with AL30's. I have to use long valve tubes, in mine. Rear bearings have been ok so far. Probably about 1500 miles on the clock.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I don't think those valve nut things would make much difference if there isn't enough protrusion. They might even reduce the amount of valve available.
No issues with the bearings here, the Macinato is a smooth, quiet runner in general.
Thanks, the rear hub bearings are about the only thing negative online; I think I'll order some when they come back in stock; it seems like I have to spend £300+ with other brands to get anything lighter.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Have you thought about Pro Lite Bracchiano or whatever they are called? 299 in CRC, not including any discounts you mikght be able to get, with a voucher? I have been close to ordering another set for another bike a couple of times but am now skint.

edindave

Über Member
What bike are the new wheels for, HLab? You can get Mavic Aksiums for £149 from JE James. I have these on the Scott and they seem pretty solid.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have Aksiums on my Verenti and the AL30's on my Cube. Not much in it, in terms of feel, IMHO. Aksiums have gone out of true a bit more often than the AL30's and I prefer the look of the AL30's but the Aksiums are nice wheels for the money. Probably slightly better quality and the freehub seems a bit less likely to get eaten into by the cassette (as has happened with my AL30's).

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
If you are considering upping the budget then a wee word with Derek from Wheelsmith wouldn't go amiss - a great guy and offers genuine advice to help you - not to make him more money. Short term a bit more expensive but are servicable in the future so long term they are cheaper. He has his own set of Race 23 wheels and hubs that look very good value

Top Bottom