Planet x bikes recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trigger369

Über Member
Hi all . Big birthday coming up and the wife says shes buying me a new bike .hopefully around £1500 to spend .At the min the only bike I have is a 2017 giant contend. But If I was getting a new bike it would need to be an upgrade . I hear planetx bikes are good bikes for the money .
I was looking at there EC130E ultrega carbon road bike and was wondering have any of you guys have one or any planetx bikes and can say good things about them ? Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have not really had a good experience with Planet X. Frame arrived scratched, which took a while to sort out, refunds tried to be given in vouchers not cash etc. If something was a massive bargain, I would use them, but would prefer to go elsewhere.

vickster

Legendary Member
SRAM Force and Ultegra are essentially pegged as equivalent, although Force is a bit lighter

Can get another £100 off with BC or CUK membership of course

peterdowning

Veteran
I recently replied to a similar thread on another forum as below...

I own three PX bikes.

A couple of years ago, I had an older Specialized S-works Roubaix (10-spd Dura Ace 7900) and a Secteur (10-spd Ultegra 6700). Roubaix was my best bike and I used the Secteur as a winter bike. I fancied a change so when PX had one of their sales I bought a ProCarbon frame for £230 and moved the Secteur parts onto it. It was meant to be the winter bike, but I found I enjoyed riding the PX more than the Roubaix. As a result, I then bought another 'bargain' ProCarbon frame and built it up with the DA7900 and other parts stripped fom the Roubaix. I then sold the Roubaix frame. I have no regrets at 'down-grading' as the PX bikes seem to fit me better, are more comfortable and I love riding them. If it helps, I am a 58 yo leisure/fitness rider who does the occasional Sportive.

Also recently got a PPI windfall and was allowed to buy PX Ti Spitfire. That's lovely too :-)

FWIW, I've only had good service in my dealings with them. No problems to sort out, and communication has been good.

YMMV

D

Deleted member 23692

I too have 3 Planet X frames.

Two London Roads - one built as a drop bar hydro braked gravel/cross/adventure/do it all bike and the other is a flat bar pedelec commuter/town/pub bike. Both ride absolutely superbly and for the price (£199 with carbon fork) they can't be beaten.

T'other is a (now discontinued) carbon Maratona built with 105 groupset and 50mm carbon rims comes in at 7.7kg with bottle cages, pedal etc. again it's a great bike with easy to thread internal cabling too ;). It rides superb and gets positive comments from everyone who's who's encountered it.

I've always found PX to offer great service, even on the one occasion when things didn't go right

As for the EC130, Cycling Weekly certainly liked it - https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/road-bikes/planet-x-ec-130e

wonderloaf

Veteran
I bought a Pro-carbon with full Ultegra 6800 groupset a couple of years ago, no problems at all with the purchase, build or delivery. Over 4000 miles later it's still going strong, the only things I've changed are the usual ones ... saddle, pedals and tyres. Even the original Campy Khamsin wheels are still going strong. Another satisfied PX customer!

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Cheers for the replys folks most appreciated as usual . Ile keep looking about and see what bikes are on sale.
I would rather buy local as I'm in northern Ireland but the prices for what you get are above my budget . So on line seems to be the better deal . It will be my first carbon bike so want to make the right decision too .

Venod

Eh up
I have bought loads of stuff from Planet X, good value for money IMO, I have had a Carbon Pro frame, I went for large as the medium felt too small, it was a nice ride but we never really bonded, I also have an On One Pickenflick Ti CX, (a Planet X brand) I have owned a lot of different bikes throughout my cycling life, some a lot more expensive than the On One, but the Pickenflick remains my favourite of the lot.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've got the Planet X Pro Carbon road bike and a flat bar build based around a Pickenflick frame & fork. As has been said, they're good VFM but the sizing can be a bit odd. Prices also jump all over the place so if there's a particular bike you're after, track it for a while to see what the high & low price points are.

Having said that, if you're not insisting on disc brakes the Boardman listed above is one major bargain.

chriscross1966

Über Member
They're doing Holdsworth Super Professionals with a Campag Chorus groupset for 1500 atm..... that is a heck of a rig for that money IMHO

faster

Über Member
I've had a PX Pro Carbon for quite a few years now. At the time, there was nothing that could touch it for value and to get any bike with Ultegra 6800 would have cost a lot more.

I was, and remain 100% satisfied with the bike. It's undeniably light for the price, everything looks really good quality and the finish on the frame is absolutely flawless. I looked at bikes from all of the major manufacturers at a similar price point and they just looked to be of much lower quality.

I care little that it is an open mould frame or an old design - so what? What matters is it is quick and a comfortable bike. I didn't have any problems with the service I received from Planet X either, but I understand some do.

I'd buy from there again.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
C04A7C60-32DB-4947-8174-06E83D882FE8.jpeg

Here’s mine Ultegra Di2
No complaints, no problems. :okay:

Top Bottom