Planet X Kaffenback 2 review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
First impressions I was pretty pleased with the bike, heavier than I thought but looks a sturdy commuter/winter hack.

So far not done a massive amount of miles on it about 50 due to some time off work but now I am getting used to the bike and changed the set up to suit it really is a nice ride. I opted for a Carbon post at extra cost and changed the tyres to Conti 4 season and slightly lighter and shorter stem, overall the ride is pretty smooth, smoother than my Cannondale Alloy hybrid and once up to speed handles its own, hills have not been a massive issue, obviously going to be tougher than my best bike but it’s a really nice ride. I have tinkered with the BB7’s they are handling a lot better but ideally would love hydraulics back though I am impressed with them (though when the bike arrived both were in fact rubbing).

I have popped some SKS raceblades on (after messing around with them for a weekend) and popped some Look pedals on and overall it weighs in at 25.5lbs for small frame size, so pretty heavy but once you get it rolling it really is a good ride for the money.

Planet X have been very good on the service front

I shall update after a few hundred miles.

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
Update:

After 100 miles the wheels need truing (Shimano WHRX05). Shocked really since I have taken care and not ragged the bike. The BB7's are need to be nursed more than I expected or compared to my old hydraulic discs, this is meant to be an all rounder so my thoughts/expectations of a tough commuter which would not need so much attention are slightly dashed but we see in a a few months. Overall still a nice ride, takes hills well and the fact I have saved a a couple of hundred over the Croix de Fer.

BSRU

A Human Being
Update:

After 100 miles the wheels need truing (Shimano WHRX05). Shocked really since I have taken care and not ragged the bike. The BB7's are need to be nursed more than I expected or compared to my old hydraulic discs, this is meant to be an all rounder so my thoughts/expectations of a tough commuter which would not need so much attention are slightly dashed but we see in a a few months. Overall still a nice ride, takes hills well and the fact I have saved a a couple of hundred over the Croix de Fer.
But the Croix de Fer is worth the extra, I'm not biased at all:tongue:

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
But the Croix de Fer is worth the extra, I'm not biased at all:tongue:

Lol yes... Should.. Have... Then again I have ended up paying £40 for the conti 4s, £25 for the carbon post and £15 for stem = £878 + 10% cyclescheme penalty = £965 so I might as well have paid an extra £200 for the Croix de Fer.

BSRU

A Human Being
Lol yes... Should.. Have... Then again I have ended up paying £40 for the conti 4s, £25 for the carbon post and £15 for stem = £878 + 10% cyclescheme penalty = £965 so I might as well have paid an extra £200 for the Croix de Fer.
But then you would spend more on new bits for the Croix de Fer^_^, I put Conti 4 Seasons on mine and converted it to a triple, could have bought a CAADX Ultegra with all that money:ohmy:.

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
My ideal bike would have been either the Ribble winter trainer or Steel either with discs, great choice at set up with Ribble for the price. tbh the difference between the BB7's & good rim brakes I find marginal though I guess in the worst weather the BB7s will shine.

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran

BSRU

A Human Being
My ideal bike would have been either the Ribble winter trainer or Steel either with discs, great choice at set up with Ribble for the price. tbh the difference between the BB7's & good rim brakes I find marginal though I guess in the worst weather the BB7s will shine.
I choose the Genesis because of it's lifetime frame warranty.

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
I choose the Genesis because of it's lifetime frame warranty.

Yeah, I needed something with discs, a half decent group set and could take guards and after spending near £2k on my Ribble less than 4 weeks before it was a tough ask of the wife!!

As a bonus I got a couple of Carbon cages thrown in after I moaned a bit, look nice on the Ribble ^_^

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
Well what I thought was a slight out of true rear wheel turns out to be a flat spot, deffo not caused by me so can only be a default. Going to phone PX tomorrow but with this and the constant tweaking of the BB7's I might be sending back as it is not doing the job it was meant to do, a tough year round commuter.

Top Bottom