Planet X March Madness Deal - Looking at EC130E Carbon Aero Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razabbs

Hi there! I've been looking to upgrade my bike for two summers now but the 6 month waiting list for what seems like everywhere has been putting me off.
In another thread (the £1500 Budget one) Planet X was mentioned so I've just been having a look

I think some of the specifications may be a little off as these first two seem to have an identical spec once you go into the bike's page,
This one apparently has SRAM SX Eagle - Link here

This one is SRAM Force 22 Speed and fulcrum 900 clincher wheels - Link here

Full list of March Madness bikes here

What do we think of the two I've linked or any others? I've never ridden a Planet X and this is very much for pleasure and fitness; I don't do any racing so I'm wondering if the geometry would be too aggressive? I currently ride a Decathlon Triban 5 from around 2012!

I was looking to spend a max of £1500, £1000 would leave me a chunk to upgrade wheels and live in Lincolnshire where there isn't a huge amount of hills. I'm going to have to have a quick look at SRAM stuff too, as I've always paid much more attention to the Shimano groupsets; I've no idea which is the best, worst and most average within the SRAM

2 days ago I'd set myself on the Orbea Avant series, but again, months to weight and they're heavy at 10.9kg. These are both quoted at very close to 8kg

Another option, Not aero but with discs and deeper wheels - Link

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Force is equivalent to Ultegra, if not a little lighter, and fantastic so you’ve no worries there.
Edit, that said, the one you’ve linked at £1400 is Rival, 105 equivalent but still great…as has the one you‘ve said has Eagle (which isn’t a road groupset :scratch:) in fact they’re the same other than the price, so a bit confused (but it is early!)

Last edited:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Imo (looking at those URL's) one of them is customisable (e.g. you have the option to change stem, bars etc. in the configurator and the other is off the peg but they are the same bike and spec. Email PX and ask them to confirm but this is certainly the same Q I asked them a few months ago, when purchasing a bike from them but had trouble confirming spec/ determining differences between two seemingly identical bikes.

Mouse over URL's the difference is:
YBxxxxx (off the peg build)
CBxxxxx (customer configurable)

Tommohawk

PX are selling their pro carbon with sram rival 22 for £999.99 on a special offer. That looks a steal.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
As posted by @gaijintendo in ‘found a bargain’ thread. This Titanium Titus Roadrunner is fantastic value, the code SPRING15 seems to work bringing the price down to £1305 delivered.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/YBTIRRFOR1/titus-roadrunner-sram-force-1-titanium-road-bike

figbat

Slippery scientist
As posted by @gaijintendo in ‘found a bargain’ thread…
Ahem…?! :whistle:

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

As posted by @gaijintendo in ‘found a bargain’ thread. This Titanium Titus Roadrunner is fantastic value, the code SPRING15 seems to work bringing the price down to £1305 delivered.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/YBTIRRFOR1/titus-roadrunner-sram-force-1-titanium-road-bike

I have had a look at these but I'm not too keen on them. I think it'll be the Pro Carbon I'm going to go for with the SRAM Force. Too concerned about the EC130 being too aggressive position-wise.

Juliansou

I’ve recently bought the pro carbon with rival. I was toying with the cable force v hydraulic rival (same price I believe). It’s essentially exactly the same group set, the rival is just a few grams heavier. I have no regrets about going for hydraulic brakes - massive improvement on my existing cables! Super bike & a lot of bang for the bucks. You can get an additional 10% off if you sign up too - makes it even more of a bargain!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have had a look at these but I'm not too keen on them. I think it'll be the Pro Carbon I'm going to go for with the SRAM Force. Too concerned about the EC130 being too aggressive position-wise.
Have a look at the geometry charts on their website, a quick look shows that there's not too much difference in Stack & Reach between the 2 bikes. My wife was talked out of an aero bike, at a lbs, because of the position & they didn't think it would suit, she bought it from another store & loves it :okay: There's not a great deal of hills here in East Yorkshire either, but the aero bike still copes well with them, although she weighs around 45kg, so think that may help too :rolleyes:

OP
OP
razabbs

razabbs

Put an order in this morning, going for the Pro Carbon(in Blue), although not the one I initially linked.

The bike with the SRAM Force groupset (Minus discs) went up to a 50-day Build period so instead I've gone for the Rival Groupset(with the Hydraulic discs rather than mechanical) which still shows as 5-7 day build period. Hoping to have it by the end of April.

0% finance also available(for 4 years on that model) so it's costing me £30 a month ^_^

Top Bottom