Planet X "Rock Machine" ebikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowridr

Has anyone any experience of these bikes? Looks like they've imported a batch to test the market and on the face of it they're amazing value, although the components are a bit unusual, "SportDrive" motors from somewhere and a basic coil fork. I found a little review on a Czech website but nothing else useful.

Here's the maker's website: https://rockmachine.us/en/2019/flash/crossride-e350/matte-black-silver-brick-red - spec seems fine for a light-usage ready-built bike?

At the risk of being a bit Top Gear: for £930 delivered, how bad can one be?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
About the going rate for a basic hub drive bike.

It has a Dapu motor, which I've heard of and should be OK.

Not clear from the Planet X site which size battery you get, which would have an impact on value.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBELRMCRE35018/rock-machine-crossride-e350-touring-e-bike

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just ordered the “women’s” version of the e375 with the rack/lock/mudguards/lights in dark pink and dropped top tube. Fingers crossed.

Well done for putting your money where your mouth is.

You've taken a bit of a punt, but if the rest of the bike is equivalent spec to the Dapu motor you shouldn't have any worries.

The bike doesn't have a very low first gear - 42/32 - which might be a struggle for some in hilly Bristol.

No problem if you are fairly light and/or have some fitness.

OP
OP
S

slowridr

Well it’s arrived, I’ve put it together and first impressions are pretty good.

The colour is less pink than I was expecting: instead of fuchsia it’s a sort of deep raspberry matt finish. Welds on the frame are very tidy, the matching mudguards and wired-in lights are very clean, the WTB Riddler tyres look enormous next to the tyres on my other bikes. Even came with pedals and a nice bell, which I wasn’t expecting. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Well it’s arrived, I’ve put it together and first impressions are pretty good.

The colour is less pink than I was expecting: instead of fuchsia it’s a sort of deep raspberry matt finish. Welds on the frame are very tidy, the matching mudguards and wired-in lights are very clean, the WTB Riddler tyres look enormous next to the tyres on my other bikes. Even came with pedals and a nice bell, which I wasn’t expecting. Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow.

Sounds promising.

Probably worth 'cycling' the battery a couple of times in the first week or two - run it down from fully charged until the software cuts out the motor.

You may already know, but don't leave the battery fully charged for any longer than you have to.

When you are up and running, it's best to start every ride with a fully charged battery, unless you are literally only going to do a handful of miles.

I am sure we would all like to see a few pics.

OP
OP
S

slowridr

Good tips on the battery, thanks.

First run out was as hilarious as I expected. The motor makes only a quiet whoosh, there are a few rattles which I think is the frame lock; I’m used to my road bike running silently so might see if I can stick a felt pad into it. Need to get used to the wide MTB style bars too.

I might need to tighten the headset and wind a bit more cable tension on the derailleur, but that’s normal for a new bike. Overall, very happy.

Couple of photos attached.

Attachments

• EEA53732-4013-473B-8205-C6698537C50C.jpeg
    EEA53732-4013-473B-8205-C6698537C50C.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 117
  • EE3584B6-8653-40A3-9299-E043550D0077.jpeg
    EE3584B6-8653-40A3-9299-E043550D0077.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 126
  • AEE29EE9-8BF2-460D-B832-AB321CF3CDA8.jpeg
    AEE29EE9-8BF2-460D-B832-AB321CF3CDA8.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 110

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Good tips on the battery, thanks.

First run out was as hilarious as I expected. The motor makes only a quiet whoosh, there are a few rattles which I think is the frame lock; I’m used to my road bike running silently so might see if I can stick a felt pad into it. Need to get used to the wide MTB style bars too.

I might need to tighten the headset and wind a bit more cable tension on the derailleur, but that’s normal for a new bike. Overall, very happy.

Couple of photos attached.

Looks nicely made.

The extra stuff on ebikes means they can be rattly compared to a well-fettled road bike.

I would chop two or three inches of both ends of those bars.

You don't need the extra MTB leverage for road and gravel path use.

Spartak