Planet X RT-58 alloy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
You've jinxed that arriving any time early, merely by mentioning it.

Sorry, but it's your own fault! ^_^

Russell

OP
OP
montroseloon

montroseloon

Well it arrived on Friday (unfortunately I had a concert to go to) and had it out on the Saturday. Very comfortable to ride and seems well built, didn't have to make any adjustments which was a bonus. Next time I'm home I will get out a bit further afield

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
What's unfortunate about a concert? Unless someone else chose it....

Don't get fussed about making adjustments too early. Ride it and as the rides get longer, listen to your body. If you have an ache, ask on here and you'll get [some] sensible suggestions as to what tweak will ameliorate it. Try them. If they work, all is good.

Ultimately, I found that spending £100-200 on a decent, independent, bike-fit was well worth the money in terms of long term comfort and speed. You can easily blow that on a saddle, but 5mm, up, down, forward and backward, not to mention cleat angle, on you existing bike makes an immediate difference. You can then transfer those measurements to future bikes (yes, there WILL be future bikes) which then informs not only the choice of future bikes, but massively short-cuts making them comfortable.

I say that from the point of view of having spent £140 on a bike-fit for my RT-58 and then being confident enough to order a slightly shorter stem for my KTM before it was delivered. By contrast, I've blown considerably more than that £140 finding bib shorts/tights that suit me. It's a perspective worth noting, especially as the shorts/tights only really last a season...

Russell

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Good points Russell. My delivery wasn't jinxed, my wife was working at home on Wednesday, so I came home to find a huge box in the hall. Unpacked on Thursday evening, set the saddle height and position from my bike fit measurements, put my pedals on, inflated the tyres and went for a short ride.
Adapted to SRAM quickly, and beat or equalled a couple of segment times on a 5 mile shake down.
A decent bike-fit is well worth the spend, not only do you get the bike fitted to you, you get the figures to transfer to future bikes and an understanding of what and how to adjust.

OP
OP
montroseloon

montroseloon

What's unfortunate about a concert? Unless someone else chose it....

Don't get fussed about making adjustments too early. Ride it and as the rides get longer, listen to your body. If you have an ache, ask on here and you'll get [some] sensible suggestions as to what tweak will ameliorate it. Try them. If they work, all is good.

Ultimately, I found that spending £100-200 on a decent, independent, bike-fit was well worth the money in terms of long term comfort and speed. You can easily blow that on a saddle, but 5mm, up, down, forward and backward, not to mention cleat angle, on you existing bike makes an immediate difference. You can then transfer those measurements to future bikes (yes, there WILL be future bikes) which then informs not only the choice of future bikes, but massively short-cuts making them comfortable.

I say that from the point of view of having spent £140 on a bike-fit for my RT-58 and then being confident enough to order a slightly shorter stem for my KTM before it was delivered. By contrast, I've blown considerably more than that £140 finding bib shorts/tights that suit me. It's a perspective worth noting, especially as the shorts/tights only really last a season...

Russell
The concert was good (Jools Holland) but the bike had arrived so that was the bad timing really. Thank you for all your advice and help about getting setup and as you say there will be more bikes in the future but I'll try and make this one last a while

Top Bottom