Planet X RT-58 alloy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montroseloon

I have purchased a RT-58 alloy (still waiting on it arriving) but was wondering if anybody on here had one and what they thought of it? Going by the price and spec I couldn't see anything else even near it.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have purchased a RT-58 alloy (still waiting on it arriving) but was wondering if anybody on here had one and what they thought of it? Going by the price and spec I couldn't see anything else even near it.

Triban 540, but they are a little heavier. i think the current batch is being phased out in favour of a 11 speed variant (possibly/hopefully)

I recall at least 2-3 members here who have RT-58's here and they love theirs

OP
OP
montroseloon

montroseloon

Good to hear that other folk like theirs, I can't say I have seen many around my way so kinda wondered or maybe I haven't been paying attention. I went for the 105 groupset option on mine

Crandoggler

I have the alloy with SRAM Rival. Managed 400 miles of LEJOG in 4 days without issue (I fell apart, the bike didn't!). Also managed 1600 miles before that without issue.

Good bike! Look even better with deeper wheels.

Red17

Veteran
I've had one for about 18 months and really like it.

I've used it through last winter with some clip on guards and its finish etc stood up to it well - only fault I've had was with the front wheel bearings going, but that is a typical problem with the vision 30 wheelset I had from what I can see, and took less than half an hour to fix.

Great bikes for the money IMO.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have one, now converted to flat bars. Good bike to ride especially for the cash, I got for £500 with SRAM rival when they had a promotion on

The standard tape was pretty basic, but it all arrived on time and well package. The welds aren't the best on the frame but not really a cause for complaint given the cost

@russ.will did the same iirc

OP
OP
montroseloon

montroseloon

Thank you for the response and advice folks. Going by the reviews online everyone seems happy with the bikes from there but a few grumbles about customer care but you get that everywhere nowadays.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I have one, which has been a bit relegated to winter/wet weather bike and like vickster, I bought it for £500 with Rival 22 and Camp Khamsin wheels, which was a bit of a no brainer.

I still like it a lot, regularly using it, despite expecting it to gather a bit of dust when the KTM arrived. It's done about 1500 miles and nothing has gone wrong or been replaced, save for changing the tyres to Duranos to fend off winter roads.

Compared to the KTM, it's a bit lethargic to accelerate, but one up to speed it'll stay there all day. It's surprisingly smooth and the handling is pretty stable, whilst being nimble enough. It's got just enough room for Drud Road Racer MkII mudguards with 25mm rubber, but it would have been nice to have mudguard eyelets to widen out the choice.

The Rival 22 is brilliant (and I have Di2 to compare it too) which sort of begs the question - A lot of it's qualities come down to which build you spec'd?

Russell

Diggs

Veteran
Like @cosmicbike I have the carbon version (think we purchased at a similar time) and it's been great. I have been tempted when they've had the alloy frame on offer just to build up but I couldn't really justify it.
I really hope you enjoy it

Levo-Lon

Guru
I bought the RT58 in PX frame sale for 130 quid..built it up using all the parts of my Sensa trentino pro.
its a very good fit for me as i found the Sensa excruciatingly uncomfortable..

nice colour too..PX have a frame sale on this week with the Pro Carbon frame at 280..i was tempted,but its only a 500g weight saving and i may dislike the feel of the carbon?

1433672565495.jpg

Top Bottom