Planet X RT57 2rd hand worth a look?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
A RT57 has come up for sale near me what I am wondering is it worth the money it’s up for £700 or open to offers.

Listing says the the following

Plant x rt57 carbon road bike in mint condition size medium i think. Im 5ft 10inch as a reference. Sram force 22 gears with fsa brakes. Wheels are vision team.30 With dura ace c35 decals. Prologo nagQTR replica seat.k-edge out front garmin holder. Elite canible cages and bottles. Shimano 105 pedals included with spiuk carbon road shoes Real eye catching bike

The listing also inc a few bits of castelli kit which may or may not fit me, the shoes as it happens are in my size. As for frame size I’m 5 9 so maybe ok.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I used to own a Planet X RT58 carbon with Sram force, it cost me £1k brand new with a warranty. After 18 months a crack appeared on the downtube, so was replaced under warranty with a newer RT80 carbon. Only managed to sell that for £500 even though the frameset was brand new, so reckon £700 is a bit on the top side of what you should be paying. If you are in no rush, just keep an eye on PX & occasionally they have a 20% off everything sale, so you could end up with new for not much more then the £700 :okay:

It's the only carbon bike I've owned & ridden but it was a beautiful bike to ride, always felt like it wanted to go faster :smile:

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
I used to own a Planet X RT58 carbon with Sram force, it cost me £1k brand new with a warranty. After 18 months a crack appeared on the downtube, so was replaced under warranty with a newer RT80 carbon. Only managed to sell that for £500 even though the frameset was brand new, so reckon £700 is a bit on the top side of what you should be paying. If you are in no rush, just keep an eye on PX & occasionally they have a 20% off everything sale, so you could end up with new for not much more then the £700 :okay:

It's the only carbon bike I've owned & ridden but it was a beautiful bike to ride, always felt like it wanted to go faster :smile:

Thanks @Soltydog

wajc

Veteran
I bought a Planet X RT57 with the same spec wheels/groupset etc. back in Nov 2014 for a grand. Prices have increased since then and I think it went up to about £1400 at some point. It has only been available as a full bike package intermittently and is not currently available new from Planet X

I like the bike very much but it is the only carbon road bike that I have ever had so can only compare with my 'winter' bike which has an aluminium frame. Apart from it being much lighter and stiffer the biggest difference I have found is how much better it rides over the 'chip and seal' roads that we have all too widely in Lincolnshire (but that probably goes for any other carbon bike as well).

Mine is still stock other than the wheels/tyres. The original Vision Team 30 wheels are relatively heavy and are known to be a pain when fitting tyres to - something which I'd agree with.

It looks to me as if it has the same Force 53T/39T chainset and Force 11-32 cassette as fitted to mine, which may or may not suit you.

Mine was fitted with an SRAM PG1170 chain also. I'd be interested to know what mileage the bike has done as replacing chain and cassette is a general wear and tear item but if you need to replace, and want like for like (SRAM Force) then the cassette and chain will cost approx. £90 - something to bear in mind.

vickster

Legendary Member

wajc

Veteran
Top Bottom