Planet X thick merino socks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLOOTKMS3P/on-one-thicky-merino-socks-(3-pack)

Am looking for some warmer socks for winter.

Anyone used them?

How thick/warm are they actually?

I note that they are not actually 100 per cent merino (you have to be careful checking the fine print with merino stuff) but this maybe (?) doesn't matter so much with socks as, unlike base layers, I will only be wearing them once and don't need the enhanced pong resistance.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
These.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLOOTKMS3P/on-one-thicky-merino-socks-(3-pack)

Am looking for some warmer socks for winter.

Anyone used them?

How thick/warm are they actually?

I note that they are not actually 100 per cent merino (you have to be careful checking the fine print with merino stuff) but this maybe (?) doesn't matter so much with socks as, unlike base layers, I will only be wearing them once and don't need the enhanced pong resistance.
They are brilliant. I wear them all winter. I even have a pair on now. The Thinnies, on the other hand, are prone to shrinking in the wash...

Katherine

Guru
They are definately worth getting. I wore mine today. I got them in one of their bundles they do with overshoes and other stuff I can't remember.
However , I also wore some thermal walking socks, some 'Hot Hand' foot warmers and Gore overshoes. Mind you, the thermometer said 0 degrees when I set off and I don't think it went above 2 degrees.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I got some last winter - they're good but I still ended up doubling them up on really cold days (say below 3°C) and by the end of a 50-miler I still suffered from cold toes, but that was before I discovered overshoes.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I bought a pack of 3 On One (as the OP 'found') in Aug 15 and they were very good, but not 'winter thick' imo. I used them Sep -Oct 15 and then spring to September 16 and bought another pack of three as the elastic was starting to weaken (6000km between 3 pairs).
However for the cold, I have found these More Mile ones excellent, 3 for £10. Bought a pack of 3 last Christmas and they have worn well. Bought another 3 last month. They are significantly warmer and thicker than the On One ones, but not 'hiking sock' thick. They size correctly (I have the 8.5-10.5 and I'm a 9). The cuff length is 80mm to the ankle bone. If it's over 10 degrees C, they are too warm (YTMV).
I will only be wearing them once
Are you saying you chuck each pair after use?

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I've a few pairs of their winter socks (varying length/ thickness) and I can't really fault them but they only see an outing during the codest winter days.

Something fishy about that statement.

screenman

Legendary Member
They are definately worth getting. I wore mine today. I got them in one of their bundles they do with overshoes and other stuff I can't remember.
However , I also wore some thermal walking socks, some 'Hot Hand' foot warmers and Gore overshoes. Mind you, the thermometer said 0 degrees when I set off and I don't think it went above 2 degrees.

Blimey, I did here there was a sighting of Bigfoot somewhere today.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
: ) now now ajax - everyone knows that one of the wonders of merino is its long freshness. I always shower before cycling. Tho not in oil.

Top Bottom